Lag on #4

Discuss TF2! Or don't. Whatever takes your fancy.

Postby Schmoe » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:36 pm

I've been playing a lot on the Furry Pound #4 server and have noticed consistent lag whenever a user joins the server. Maybe the server needs a defrag or there's a lot of logging going on... I don't know how to resolve it but it's pretty annoying.

All in all the community is fun and I like the map choices, so that's why I invested the time to register on the forum and air my annoyance.
Schmoe

Postby NikkyVix » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:10 pm

Howdy Schmoe, welcome to the forum!

Thanks for your input also. Rest assured the admins are aware of the issue and working on potential resolutions. Sometimes our servers can just be a bit ornery, but we always figure it out. :)
NikkyVix
Site Admin

Postby Purplecat » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:21 pm

Sure it's not a clientside issue, seeing how it seems to happen when a player join? I heard about someone complaining about this while being on the same server, but I wasn't affected by it. I actually suspect this might have to do with Steam querying the Steam servers for player information rather than the server taking a hit.

It can be incorrect set network settings too. Sometimes Steam is a bit stupid and set the bandwidth settings after dial-up... which can lead to some problems.

What lag is caused by Server, Client, Network or Steam can be hard to tell sometimes. Usually game freezing up for a moment is usually caused by the client or Steam. If you are frozen in place but is still able to turn your view smoothly, or the game is very "jumpy" as you walk it's network/server related.

What value is your "rate" cvar set to? Many networking problems some users have reported in the past was caused by them having it set to a ridiculously low value. This partly due to Steam misidentifying people's connection as "dial-up".
Purplecat
Site Admin

Postby Schmoe » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:17 am

I've played around with my rate settings and haven't noticed an issue on other servers... Currently it's set to 30K, but I've tried 100K and 50K with no difference on the server. I also thought it was because of my games directory running on my OS drive, however I recently moved it to a new drive and it still causes the stuttering. I've also tried disabling sprays on my client to prevent it from downloading new content as players join. Regardless other users have been frustrated with lag at the exact same time as when a new player joins.

I recently downloaded L4D2's The Passing and it seemed to take up every bit of my ISP's bandwidth, so that seems in order.

I suspect it's due to HDD thrashing on the server due to a TF2 plugin? It would be my first guess. I can post a net_graph 4 screenshot but I doubt it'll provide any clues as to how to fix it.
Schmoe

Postby Schmoe » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:15 pm

Noticed the servers were back online last night. Played a few maps and haven't seen the type of lag that I reported. Thank you for looking into this problem (if anything was looked into ;) ).
Schmoe

Postby Witchiebunny » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:50 pm

The servers underwent some emergency maitenence a day or so ago. This looks as if it's addressed the lag issue. :)
Witchiebunny

Postby Schmoe » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:16 am

Lag is still an issue, however steam seems to be bonky at the moment so it could be that.
Schmoe

Postby Sekh765 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:17 am

Locking this thread since it serves no real purpose, please PM any complaints of this nature to us. We know the servers are laggy sometimes, however, ESPECIALLY when steam is exploding as it has been for the last few days, it is probably not our fault nor can we do anything about it.
Your friendly local Buffett-Bird spy. ^_^
My spy video!
Sekh765

Return to Team Fortress 2