[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
The Furry Pound forums • View topic - CTF_Mercy

CTF_Mercy

Discuss TF2! Or don't. Whatever takes your fancy.

Postby STrRedWolf » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:03 am

I just played this, and... well...

My first impressions is that it's very geared towards scouts, due to pure layout concerns. There's been many of a time in which a scout got the first grab at the intelligence and was able to get it back before the opposite team was able to set up defenses. It's a bit too short of a distance between intelligence areas, and frankly put, it makes it feel like you were leaving it on the front door.

As I played within the hour I had as a soldier, I've found some other tradeoffs; the intelligence door doubles as a sniper nest, for instance. The left-side entrance is a perfect hiding ground for camping, and the right side has equal capacity; if an engie was able to get behind there and build up there would be some good forts there.

It can use some more tweaks. I was under the impression that there was some distance between the two flags; now there's not enough.
Steam on Linux Native: "PENGUIN TOUCH MY GUN!" "THAT PENGUIN IS A SPY!"
"This is going to be a real piece of piss, you bloody Steam Linux player!"
STrRedWolf

Postby Jinx » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:54 am

Jinx

Postby Sekh765 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:18 pm

Make sure you have this map downloaded folks. I've added it to the maptest later this month.
Your friendly local Buffett-Bird spy. ^_^
My spy video!
Sekh765

Postby vilepickle » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:08 am

It is a smaller than average distance between flags, but most CTF maps turn into pretty big stalemates. It's unfortunate that some very quick captures can happen that feel a bit cheap, but I'm unsure how to remedy this than making the map just longer and larger which would turn it into another turtle-war CTF map. Server admins can up the capture limit a bit if it feels too quick, as games can tend to be higher scoring with Mercy but the tides can change pretty easily if teams are balanced enough. Keep in mind if you bump it to over 5 captures the "mercy rule" will come into play which disables the losing team's flag for 30 seconds after being captured. (This is mostly in effect for competitive matchups that have no score limit).
vilepickle

Postby Purplecat » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:02 am

Why not disable it for ten seconds after every capture? That seems to be a good way to slow down recapturing, without making it a ctf_2fort style stalemate map (gives the losing team a chance to regroup/respawn). Of course, the disabled state need to be obvious to not frustrate players (being in a small box, or plain just not being visible).
Purplecat
Site Admin

Postby Arcalane » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:05 pm

Arcalane
Huzzah!

Postby vilepickle » Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:26 pm

vilepickle

Postby vilepickle » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:09 pm

I successfully added a feature in the next version that should be pretty interesting.

On all captures, the team who got captured on has their base's security doors close which include 3 entrances to the flagroom: the large back door, the flank window, and the sniper deck doorway. These doors stay closed for 10 seconds so the team can get set back up.

It's important to note that the front door does NOT close. The reasoning behind this is that the team who had their doors closed still needs to be able to capture themselves. If that door closed they'd be locked out of capturing in their own flagroom. Plus the respawn entrance to mid isn't accessible to much of the team so they need a way into their flagroom still.

This feature works in tandem with the "mercy rule" that takes effect above 5 capture disparities that disables the losing team's flag for 30 seconds on capture.
vilepickle

Postby vilepickle » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:02 pm

[Map Update] ctf_mercy_b5

CTF_Mercy has been updated to beta 5. This small but important update adds a new feature to the map: security doors (described under changes/fixes).

B5 CHANGES/FIXES:
-Added security doors with sound/visual sirens
-These doors close for 10 seconds for the enemy when you capture their flag, preventing chain captures

Download and Screenshots: http://www.vilepickle.com/map/screens/tf2_ctf_mercy
(You can always find the latest version at this location).

vilepickle

Postby vilepickle » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:10 pm

i see you guys have played it a few times... how have the security doors been in beta 5?
vilepickle

PreviousNext

Return to Team Fortress 2