[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
The Furry Pound forums • View topic - CTF_Mercy

CTF_Mercy

Discuss TF2! Or don't. Whatever takes your fancy.

Postby vilepickle » Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:44 am

Mercy is a simple CTF map meant to tackle the flaws of traditional CTF in TF2.

Features
-Very fast paced, reduced spawn timer
-Short flag return timer
-Respawn with significantly separate exits, none in the path of the intelligence
-Several viable attack routes
-Bases that aren't deep and intricate that result in stalemates
-About the same size as Mach

Download and Screenshots: http://www.vilepickle.com/map/screens/tf2_ctf_mercy
(You can always find the latest version at this location).
vilepickle

Postby iller » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:50 am

Hmm... I'm not convinced. I mean Mach is *still* quite defendable. Contrast it with DoubleCross and It's actually MORE defendable than Doublecross (unless you have 2 really kickass snipers guarding both its battlement & "garage corridor"). This map... I'll have to load up I guess and pan around in to get a full sense of it.. But just looking at the layout, it looks like a compact version of DoubleCross in which case it would end up playing just like Chaos which is almost impossible to defend with traditional means...

Though I'll admit I'm TURTLE-bias and vastly prefer Turbine & 2-fort over Chaos or Mach. :oops:

(but I'll give it an unbiased inspection ;) )
Last edited by iller on Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
iller

Postby vilepickle » Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:43 am

Chaos has many entrances to the flag area and is well... chaos. This is more defined and it IS possible to defend, but it's a smaller map. It does use the Doublecross theme. But it's a good theme :) I can't find anything similar to Doublecross in the layout though.
vilepickle

Postby Jinx » Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:32 pm

Holy cow Vilepickle is posting on our forums? This is madness. It's looking great so far and TF2 needs more CTF maps that aren't so easily stalemated. I'll see if we can't get it on our normal servers (1, 2, 5, and 7) for some playtime. Good luck in the TF2Maps contest!
Jinx

Postby iller » Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:41 am

Huh, Other than Badlands and Hydro... which maps do we typically see Stalemates on??

Gotta ask cuz the map I am working on... well, I was sorta designing it to be progressively more stale-matish the higher the Cap point (sorta like Gorge or Badwater... but in a "rats" style).

To Vile, I altered my comment above, "stripped down" was an unintentionally demeaning word choice. And it does have have many paths as you said... and they enforce commitment and critical decision making I see (many literally drop you off a ledge). My biggest worry though is just how close the spawn rooms are to eachother. They're literally separated by 2 Sentry Radii that could easily see eachother if positioned right. OTH, one major improvement I see over Doublecross is that you don't have any of those paths going straight past any of the spawn doors so I'd assume this would make intentional spawn camping quite obvious when it was occurring and thus easier to enforce around here. But again, it might be too much like Chaos in that a single Demoman could come from the upstairs (by pill-jumping) and Charge the intel straight out the door, ignoring even the best defenses. Infact I was able to jump on the enemy battlement my very first attemp using just a FAN scout. One last strongpoint: Good Detail placement, spies are going to love this map...

And one question... are Scouts *supposed* to be able to jump back up onto those 2 center Plank spans?
iller

Postby Mr. Munchlax » Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:50 am

Who do you think you are? Bleeding Action Man?!
Mr. Munchlax

Postby DrJones » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:58 pm

CP_Waterworks is very stalemate prone due to the excessive turtling once can do.
-Jonesy
Steam: DrJones
Live: Bloobunni
FA and LJ: jonesybunny
DrJones

Postby Purplecat » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:41 pm

Ok, I just added ctf_mercy to servers TFP1 and TFP2 now!

I'd hope to get around checking it out myself in a bit, and give my opinion on it. :) I like maps that tries their best to prevent stalemates, as I hate ctf_turtlefort.
Purplecat
Site Admin

Postby vilepickle » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:45 pm

If you have any interesting feedback, I'd appreciate a bump in my TF2maps.net post too if you're registered :): http://forums.tf2maps.net/showthread.php?t=11561

I'll check back here for any comments as well.
Thanks!
vilepickle

Postby vilepickle » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:33 pm

CTF_Mercy has been updated to beta 1.

B1 CHANGES/FIXES:
-Small detail updates
-There's now an attacker-friendly 1-way window looking onto the defender's sentry farm position
-Small wall-blocker added near defender flagroom entrance to stop new flagroom window from being spawncamp friendly
-Flag return time tweaked up slightly to 16 seconds
-Computer box in flagroom unclipped at the top

Download and Screenshots: http://www.vilepickle.com/map/screens/tf2_ctf_mercy
(You can always find the latest version at this location).
vilepickle

Next

Return to Team Fortress 2