A suggestion about the subclasses!

Discuss TF2! Or don't. Whatever takes your fancy.

Postby Purplecat » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:53 pm

Posted over at the Steam forums so Valve hopefully sees it (might wind up e-mailing to Robin walker about it).

Just crossposted it here, so it's not lost under all the whining currently going on in the Steam forums. I'm open for opinions of course here and there. :)

Edit:
E-mailed it to Robin Walker. I let you guys know what he said. Hopefully he won't send me a "lol I read it" generic response back.
Purplecat
Site Admin

Postby Tehrasha » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:16 pm

*shrug* I dont see the need myself.
I am in the habit of ubering the person based on what weapon they are holding at the time, not what icon they display in the scoreboard. That, and I am usually following and healing the person in question before the uber-deploy, so I already have an idea about what weapons they are in the habit of using.
Everything I've learned in TF2, I've learned from watching Doom kick my ass!
Tehrasha

Postby Purplecat » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:20 pm

Well the idea is just not for ubering players (it was just used as a simple example), but in decision making. If you see two other demomen using the targe, you probably want to use the sticky launcher yourself. And knowing if they use the targe or not is hard if the said players are in the middle of the battlefield.

Plus one of the guys on the forum gave another good example for it's usage, where you probably want to use the regular medigun as a medic if the others are kritzkrieg users.

The first post is kinda making me frown, and seems to be baseless rambling. (I'm not sure how it would slow down the game, plus the guy probably ignored the eyelander+targe combo... or is one of those people who insist that the grenade launcher is a primary weapon :P)
Purplecat
Site Admin

Postby Zareth » Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:30 am

Mm...

it sounds like a good idea on paper, but honestly, I don't see this working.

I mean, 12 people all playing, you're bound to run into alot of em and figure out what they use.
Zareth

Postby Mr. Munchlax » Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:36 am

It's not something I would find too useful for myself but at the same time it wouldn't hurt me either so if Valve likes the idea I wouldn't mind them putting it into the game. Though I can see the different icons confusing newer players and the idea behind the class icons is that they're supposed to be simplistic and easy to understand that one icon always represents a certain class rather than having multiple icons for a single class.
Who do you think you are? Bleeding Action Man?!
Mr. Munchlax

Postby Purplecat » Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:09 am

I thought about that, and figured that the best way to fix that is probably tom ake sure the new icons have a allusion to the old icons. Such as the demoman shield icon have a bomb on it, and the hunterman sniper bow being overlayed above a sniper crosshair.

Zareth: I don't just choose a class I want to use and then run into the game with it. I look at both the scoreboard and how many there's needed of each class and choose a class appropriately. I rather not run around insane to check every single player manually to see what they have.
Purplecat
Site Admin

Return to Team Fortress 2