[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
The Furry Pound forums • View topic - Taking it to the Next Level

Taking it to the Next Level

Discuss TF2! Or don't. Whatever takes your fancy.

Postby Echoen » Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:47 am

After some hard thought, looking through demos, and considering my previous play experience, I think I would like to try out for Tournament play.

Of course, I would take on the role of Medic, but I am interested in setting up a 6-man team with the basic format (Demo, Medic, Pocket soldier, Roaming soldier, two Scouts) and practicing regularly. Who knows - Maybe we all blow ass and can't even begin to fight? Maybe we're better than we think we are? Only fighting other teams can help us realize this.

I'm interested in people's thoughts about this, having a TFP TF2 Tourny gang. The heavy gunners that can really bring skill to the table. I would hope I'm good enough for the Medic role but that remains to be seen. Consistent top of the scoreboards in a place like this might not even come close to the bottom tier of real TF2 Tournament play. Or TFP might actually hone some level of skill.

Comment here with your thoughts, opinions. And please note - This is not something to do just because someone you like is doing it. This IS a "Srs bsns" thread. Yes, it's a game - but this is the Next Level.
Echoen

Postby SilverWolf » Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:39 pm

I could join under Soldier or Scout (even though I'm normally a good Pyro or Heavy), though the problem here is distance, meaning that I can't really join since I'm in Europe.

"Taking it to the next level" would probably be a good thing in one way or another, IIRC there are still threads scattered around these forums about setting up tutoring sessions.
SilverWolf

Postby MaskedJackal » Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:12 pm

I actually think that some us are better than we think we are. TFP is more challenging than your average pub (I've joined a friends game on a random pub once and I had something like a 7:1 k:d ratio. I have never come close to that on TFP). Also, I've played with competitive players (if the TF2F servers count) before and I was able to hold my own, and I know for a fact that I'm nowhere near the best player in TFP.

I think having a tournament team would be fun. Hey, if we end up blowing ass, then who cares? What have we got to lose? =p
Image◕ ‿ ◕
MaskedJackal

Postby unseen » Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:59 pm

What?? No spies?
unseen

Postby Sekh765 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:26 pm

Spies are never used in tournament level play because its 6v6 and all teams use ventrilo, so they know where their entire team is at all times. Spies get destroyed at tourney level :\.

Unless your playing umm.. Wildfire? Wildcard? rules, which is 9 players each team, 1 of each class.
Your friendly local Buffett-Bird spy. ^_^
My spy video!
Sekh765

Postby Mr. Munchlax » Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:42 pm

I thought it was called Highlander. Anyways, that's the only kind of tourney team I'd be part of since I play pyro. Besides it makes more sense to have it that way. TF2 where certain classes are discouraged from being played because they're "useless in tournament play" isn't TF2 imo.
Who do you think you are? Bleeding Action Man?!
Mr. Munchlax

Postby SilverWolf » Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:05 pm

2 Soldiers 2 Scouts a demo and a medic is just the normal layout, doesn't mean it has to be this way, hell, people say the european layout consists of a Heavy instead of the Pocket Soldier, which is normally only used when defending, normally the class that gets replaced is the Pocket Soldier or one of the Scouts, though It's rare seeing only one Scout.

I did have a clan before, they went up two divisions in two seasons in a row, left before the final of the season where they reached division 3 (iirc), used to be a Demo until I started shifting, maybe who knows, maybe I could give a few tips and pointers from the old days.

Also related to the spy, it is hard to be a spy on 6v6 tourney level, but there are quite a good few spies around.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NG8Ub19JCe0#t=4m40s
SilverWolf

Postby Tails » Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:20 pm

Id be up for this, sounds fun 8-) though no chance I would be anything other than medic lol
Tails

Postby Draco18s » Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:23 pm

Draco18s

Postby SilverWolf » Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:53 pm

SilverWolf

Next

Return to Team Fortress 2