[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
The Furry Pound forums • View topic - Distressing concern about your servers

Distressing concern about your servers

Discuss TF2! Or don't. Whatever takes your fancy.

Postby Purplecat » Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:50 pm

Any plans of putting up a 24/7 server was shot down when we realized that players was constantly voting/extending said map on all of the servers anyway (I swear all servers were constantly on the map 6-18 hours at a time after the release).

We do sometimes put up a "new map only" server if Valve adds new enough maps at once. We did that with TFP5 last time when the classless update was out, and it worked because Valve released enough maps for us to get away with that. Not worth doing it for a single map. >_> We suspect Valve might be pulling off something similar for the holidays (since this event was highly successful), but you won't see us putting up a 24/7 server that time either.
Purplecat
Site Admin

Postby Tehrasha » Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:52 pm

Everything I've learned in TF2, I've learned from watching Doom kick my ass!
Tehrasha

Postby Dr. Furry » Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:57 pm

Dr. Furry

Postby NikkyVix » Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:13 pm

NikkyVix
Site Admin

Postby Dr. Furry » Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:21 pm

Dr. Furry

Postby NikkyVix » Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:38 pm

NikkyVix
Site Admin

Postby Sekh765 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:01 pm

Slightly off topic, but quasi related. I noticed this during the weekend since valve released the halloween achievements. This is pointed towards the other side of the above argument.

If you want to go achievement farm, and the rest of the server is playing, or doing something OTHER THAN farming, this does not give you the right to suddenly "declare" the server is for achievement farming. I was playing on the Harvest map with some friends, and when I capped the point, some fellow who will remain nameless decided that the server had up until that moment been for "farming only", and decided to scream his head off at me for capping. Being the jovial fellow I am, I just laughed it off and proceeded to light him on fire.

The point is, just because YOU want to come and farm achievements, doesn't mean the servers are here for you to take over to DO that. There are a veritable mountain of achievement servers, and if you really want to farm them, you can join that. If the rest of the server is playing, you have no right to start screaming at people to do things your way. I have noticed many times that players allow themselves to be browbeat into doing what one very loud person wants them to do, even if they would (or were previously), just playing the game.

The person in question repeated his screams the next 3 - 4 times we capped the point, at which time he vanished, I assume he imploded or something similar.

In summary, just because YOU personally wish to farm/dick around/have a sandvich party, doesn't mean you can hit the rest of the server in the head until they do what you want. Remember that please.
Your friendly local Buffett-Bird spy. ^_^
My spy video!
Sekh765

Postby Purplecat » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:32 pm

While semi-organized achievement farming happens on it's own at the TFP servers at times (especially during more slow hours), there's honestly better servers for that in the end. But going against the majority of a server is still a really dickish move. If people on a server is playing in a way that I don't agree with at the moment, I just switch server. It's that easy.

And yeah, I hate when people in a semi-serious game suddenly declares it's "melee only time", except that none else other than maybe them and two other friends jump on it. And then they whine when people don't do it. And don't even get me started on sandvich parties. Or people spycrabbing in a game where everyone else on the same team is trying their best (you can as well stare into one of your spawns walls after all).
Purplecat
Site Admin

Postby Dr. Furry » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:36 pm

Dr. Furry

Previous

Return to Team Fortress 2