Map Idea 2 - Payload - Looking for Input

Discuss TF2! Or don't. Whatever takes your fancy.

Postby Stormcaller3801 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:20 pm

There's a first time for everything.
Stormcaller3801

Postby Stormcaller3801 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:16 pm

Here's my basic plan with regards to building interiors for that row across from BLU spawn. I've removed the front wall, but I think this gives a decent look at it so far. There's multiple routes to move horizontally, and eventually multiple ways to move vertically: there's going to be another ramp in the first stack between the second and third floors, and also balconies on the third floor first stack and second floor second stack. Movement from the first floor upwards is limited so far, but there will be alternative routes.

Looking at it, my biggest concern with the layout so far is just the first stack, third floor. I think the corner between the doorways might be too good of a place for a Sentry Gun; I can fix that with props that block that corner.

Thoughts are appreciated. Right now every room is 256x512x512, minus the thickness of the walls and ceilings (16 HU). That means that at least theoretically, a Soldier or Demoman could reach the second and third floor balconies. Not every stack has a door leading to the train tracks- I think it's 1st, 2nd, 4th, and 6th. Just to keep it interesting.

Suggestions are welcome; I'm considering adding a basement corridor that runs the length of the building, give or take, with some spy tech down there. Possibly with a branch leading to BLU spawn, with a spawn gate set up to allow BLU a way into this place should it end up being too hairy in testing.
Stormcaller3801

Postby Stormcaller3801 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:47 am

Alright, I now have something that's...

Let's call it very early beta. You can load it, and you can run around as BLU team. There's no doors, there's no cart path, there's very little in the way of detail, but it's not fullbright, and there's no leaks. I'm calling that a win in my book.

Actually you can run around as RED team too, just not very far. I'll put doorways in the spawn area eventually.

Link to file download
Stormcaller3801

Postby Stormcaller3801 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:52 pm

Added in one of my ideas for how to help BLU avoid becoming a shooting gallery in the first area:

I'm not sure whether or not that's too much though; there's still areas that Snipers can see, and there's certainly points where you can get sniped before and after- and they can just fire down the length of the thing and you're a sitting duck. But if BLU hugs the right side of the cart and crouches down, I think they'll largely find this to be a safe area from shooting.

On the side of unintended (yet happy) consequences, a Scout can double-jump up atop that pallet, then to the roof, and then get to the sniper deck next to BLU spawn. That should help keep things interesting. Needless to say, other classes can reverse the route, but they can't get atop the roof again. Along with a ground-level door there, I think it'll be a strong area for BLU.
Stormcaller3801

Previous

Return to Team Fortress 2