[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
The Furry Pound forums • View topic - Something To Watch For - Sneaky Tags

Something To Watch For - Sneaky Tags

Discuss TF2! Or don't. Whatever takes your fancy.

Postby Stormcaller3801 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:54 am

I've no idea whether this would be against TFP rules or not- or whether it will be. But it's something I thought was worth a heads-up to people.

Every now and then TF2Maps.net hosts mentoring sessions. These can teach you all sorts of things (as well as put your longest life up over an hour), including things you never expected.

One of those things I didn't expect to see was a rather ingenious and sneaky tag. Someone had taken the in-game decals that tell you where to go ( :arrow: things) and made one into a tag. Specifically theirs told Red to go thattaway.

Obviously for those of us who know our way around a given map like the back of our hand, this is likely to get overlooked. But for players new to a map, well- you can see the potential havoc that could be caused by sending people running the wrong direction.

I don't know how that figures into our rules, but it's probably worth being aware of, if only to keep you from running into a dead end and getting confused... and then being backstabbed or headshotted.
Stormcaller3801

Postby STrRedWolf » Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:08 am

This is easily overcome, of course. Tag over the tag.

Still, worth being on the lookout for. I doubt you can tag on regular direction signs.
Steam on Linux Native: "PENGUIN TOUCH MY GUN!" "THAT PENGUIN IS A SPY!"
"This is going to be a real piece of piss, you bloody Steam Linux player!"
STrRedWolf

Postby NikkyVix » Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:28 am

That's no more harmless than the sprays that appear to be crouched Snipers or Demoman stickies; they're dirty tricks, but hardly anything to shun or worry about.

What's more I doubt there'll be a prevalence of such. :)
NikkyVix
Site Admin

Postby Stormcaller3801 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:45 am

I wonder if you could organize a team so that everyone's sprays fit together to form a capture point? Little off, not likely to notice. Just set it up, then wait to see how many people stand on it trying to cap it...
Stormcaller3801

Postby iller » Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:20 am

Deaths from getting Lost: 3
Deaths while distracted by Pr0n sprays: over 30
iller

Postby Sekh765 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:20 am

Your friendly local Buffett-Bird spy. ^_^
My spy video!
Sekh765

Postby Purplecat » Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:50 am

There's no rules governing sprays, and if there even would be one... it wouldn't be for preventing the scenario here. ;)

Trust me, you would only be fooled once on a map by an such spray. Plus most people would probably tell right away that the sprayed 256x256 texture looks lowres or rather flat compared to the real arrows...
Purplecat
Site Admin

Postby Draco18s » Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:11 am

Draco18s

Postby Stormcaller3801 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:55 pm

During the map test on the Ziggurat map, there's three potential control points in the Zig- top, middle, bottom. Our first run through had the middle one active. On the second run through the top one was active (and inverted, but that's not quite as relevant). Several of us went back to the middle point and defended it. This may have been offset somewhat by the fact there was no HUD to tell you whether you were holding the point or anything like that, but it still duped us.
Stormcaller3801

Postby Sekh765 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:15 pm

That wasn't tricky tags at work, that was simply a control point that was poorly marked as to where we should be attacking. Also very unlit. All that was put in his thread on how to improve his map, so hopefully next build will be better.
Your friendly local Buffett-Bird spy. ^_^
My spy video!
Sekh765

Next

Return to Team Fortress 2