[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
The Furry Pound forums • View topic - Petition: Arena maps, nominate only

Petition: Arena maps, nominate only

Discuss TF2! Or don't. Whatever takes your fancy.

Postby RetroArmadillo » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:48 pm

I am asking for signatures to petition to have arena maps on at leas one, or more, United States servers set to nominate only.

The only no-arena server alternative for TFP loyal players is TFP server #6. TFP server #6 is a United Kingdom based server where pings are too high for most United States based players to enjoy arena-free game play. Servers with a healthy number of players often have population cut to near nothing when an arena slips into play, be it by voting while trying to swap weapons or not. While there are times then an arena will be played to the end, more often than not it is quickly RTV'ed off of at the cost of much of the server population.

I understand that asking for a Unites States server with no arena at all might be asking too much. However, asking for arena to be made nominate only, would make arena open on all servers to those who enjoy it.

This minor safeguard would help keep a healthy number of players in the servers and enjoying game play on TFP servers. Those who dislike arena maps will have more options from TFP. Those who enjoy arena maps will be able to call a for an arena map the same as any other map. Those who do not care one way or the other will not be affected by the change in the least.
RetroArmadillo

Postby Sekh765 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:54 pm

I support this petition! It helps alleviate some of the anger about arena while leaving them there for the server to decide if they want it or not.
Your friendly local Buffett-Bird spy. ^_^
My spy video!
Sekh765

Postby Purplecat » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:56 pm

Just remember to nominate maps ahead of time, and you shouldn't have the problem of having to select between ctf_2fort, ctf_turbine and three other arena maps. As a rule of thumb, I usually nominate as soon I get onto a server.

We should probably put up a reference about the possible commands, "nominate" dosen't seem to be too wellknown command.
Purplecat
Site Admin

Postby RetroArmadillo » Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:10 pm

I can't tell if you like the idea or don't. But if you nominate each time you log in or change maps, sounds like this won't affect you. Sadly, not everyone nominates so diligently. This options makes arena open to those wanting to play arena with a normal map vote, provided some one nominates it. This way it could be more assured that at least some want to actually play the map. If none nominate any arena maps, at least there is a higher chance of there being better maps to select from. Besides, after playign sevral good maps, people often forget to nominate. :lol:
RetroArmadillo

Postby Sekh765 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:32 pm

Your friendly local Buffett-Bird spy. ^_^
My spy video!
Sekh765

Postby Ayeaka » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:10 am

I'd...like nominate only arena. But I can see the problems with it.

Out of curiosity, is there a way to make different maps come up depending on how many people there are in the server?

Er, to clarify, that arena would only come up to vote if the server was below a set population?

That's honestly my only issue. Arena's fun sometimes, (I like the newer maps... I just don't like the arena-ized versions of the old maps much,) but I don't want to be stuck in it when we have a full server. D:
Frau Chimäre~
The doctor will see you now.
Ayeaka

Postby Angry_Squirrel » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:30 am

Arena by nomination only sounds like a good way to go, but it could be potentially back-firing: nominated maps turn up first in the RTV menu, do they not? And what map ends up winning the RTV 90% of the time? Either option #1 or option #2, because people want to switch their weapons to those map choices and get caught in the poll when it comes out. Nominating arena only might mean that whenever it's nominated, the server changes to arena... <.<
Angry_Squirrel

Postby CAPTAIN_BRUMBL3Z » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:10 am

I just want to know why people will RTV an arena map when the population was already low, too low for a proper CP or CTF. This happened once and we went to Egypt after the RTV of all places, when we had barely 10 people in the server. Egypt is just barely small enough for a full 24 lol.

Since most people vote because they're weaopn swapping, couldn't it just be made so you vote through numbers 6 to 0?
CAPTAIN_BRUMBL3Z

Postby Amethyst_Lynx » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:25 pm

I Second (third, fourth, what ever number we're on?) this idea.

As to the accidently hitting the wrong button, don't we have a !revote command? Also, I tend to use q and the mouse scroll wheel for weapon switching... Don't know if that's odd, or just me though.
Amethyst_Lynx

Postby Zareth » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:37 am

I agree with what Amethyst said

And yes, there is a !revote feature. If I'm switching a weapon and hit, say, 2 or 3 but accidently pick 2fort or something, I just punch in !revote and select from the maps :3
Zareth

Next

Return to Team Fortress 2