[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
The Furry Pound forums • View topic - Spy Cloaking Sounds: Why they Should Not Be Moddable.

Spy Cloaking Sounds: Why they Should Not Be Moddable.

Discuss TF2! Or don't. Whatever takes your fancy.

Postby Jinx » Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:43 pm

The crashes only occur if there's a loop in the script. The game skips the wait command so something similar to an infinite loop occurs and the game will crash. Working as intended imo. Ailure has ironed out a preliminary whitelist to use with sv_pure 1 which we should be rolling out onto all of the servers soon so be warned people who are using custom spy decloaking sounds.
Jinx

Postby Ayeaka » Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:12 pm

I'll admit to having a modded Dead Ringer sound, but all I did was add a bell toll to the existing sound manually. Same volume, I just hate the sound.

Unfortunately, an honor system doesn't really work.

We had a fellow the other night that insisted I was 'simply a bad spy'. I made sure to uncloak very far away from him, as I usually do with any player that may be sound-sensitive, and he still heard me across the map.
(Goldrush)
He was on the bridge above spawn, stage 1.

I was in the tunnel behind spawn when I uncloaked.

He still heard me.

Now, at another point I just started shooting the shit out of him with revolver, but that's not the point. I found out why he could hear me later when he was whining. A spy uncloaked by him while he was talking, (Bless all-talk,) and what we heard through the mic was a loud, ear-piercing shriek instead of the normal cloak sound.

._.
Frau Chimäre~
The doctor will see you now.
Ayeaka

Postby Tehrasha » Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:44 pm

All of my custom sounds (slightly modified from Doom's sound pak) are more for comedic value than game enhancement.

My 'uber-charged medic death' is the famous 'You lose' tuba music from The Price is Right.
Dead ringer decloak includes the "I'm not dead!" from MP's Holy Grail.
Sentry missiles are Star Trek:TOS photon torpedos.
Flare Gun is klingon photon torps from the first movie...etc

sv_pure was the main reason I stopped playing on CC2 servers... I didnt know it could pick and choose what was 'pure'.
Everything I've learned in TF2, I've learned from watching Doom kick my ass!
Tehrasha

Postby Arcalane » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:26 pm

Arcalane
Huzzah!

Postby CAPTAIN_BRUMBL3Z » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:20 pm

[quote=CrashFu]or exploiting some weapon-switching bug that allows you to fire a gun again faster than it's supposed to reload, or fire the pistol faster than you can click[/quote] I'd like to know how people switch weapons and fire faster than the switch takes. Every so often, I run into someone (usually scout) who seems able to swap from scattergun and then fire off 5 pistol rounds in the span of 1 second when it takes about a second to switch weapons period.

[quote=iller]Did I just hear Brumblez talking louder than the Decloak sound itself?[/quote] Probably, but I was on the other team. His crits were getting aggravating, especially when it's insult to injury after sticky jumping up and failing again. One of the jumps ended in death by fall damage somehow, though I suppose hitting the sky box in under a second from the bottom of Egypt's first point had something to do with it.

Also... WoobooWEEEHHHwoooWEEEEHHwooboohohbohoWWEEEEEEEHHHHHH!
CAPTAIN_BRUMBL3Z

Postby iller » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:15 am

That's an animation exploit I read about on the steam forums. Most games that allow you to override an animation (like walking off the edge of something while doing a Taunt) can be exploited in one way or another... Only way to stop it is to hard-code those animations IIRC
iller

Postby Tehrasha » Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:59 pm

An announcement of which files are being sv_pure'd would be nice. The current system simply disconnects you out on the first file it disagrees with. So you quit, remove the offending file, only to get booted again on the next file in its list. Lather rinse repeat.

I had already yoinked the spy-decloaks as they were obvious. I didnt even know that Doom's soundpack had footsteps in it. (Or at least I havent noticed an difference with or without yet.) Are there any more on the chopping block that we should know about?
Everything I've learned in TF2, I've learned from watching Doom kick my ass!
Tehrasha

Postby Ayeaka » Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:54 am

Ja, I'd like to know as well. I only modded my ringer, since it's already...meant to be an earsore.

That I don't mind pulling. But I'd like to know if I, say, have to remove my ambass/rifle sounds in the future, or even smaller things like my disguise noise.
Frau Chimäre~
Ayeaka

Postby Purplecat » Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:26 am

You need to delete the "sound/player/footsteps" folder if you have one. Otherwise it's just the spy related sounds that are blocked.
Purplecat
Site Admin

Postby Ayeaka » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:42 am

I don't have modded footstep sounds.
Or cloak anymore.

I still can't connect to the servers now, and just get insta-fucking-kicked for consistency check.

-_-

Is disguise sound enforced TOO, now? I'm pretty sure THAT one's client side.

[Edit] Or is it my ambassador sound? :<
Last edited by Ayeaka on Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Frau Chimäre~
Ayeaka

PreviousNext

Return to Team Fortress 2