Getting a Map Playtested

Discuss TF2! Or don't. Whatever takes your fancy.

Postby Draco18s » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:41 am

I'm in the middle of a map that I'd like to get playtested at some point--hopefully before I've gone through and made massive detail editing--so that I can get a feel for how the map plays, opinions, and such.

So what I want to know is how I'd go about submitting my map (when I feel it's ready for playtesting) to some...one for that purpose.

Thanks.
Draco18s

Postby Jinx » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:14 pm

Hey Draco! We've got a thread for suggesting maps for play testing over here: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=78 Just post a link to your map and the next time we have a map test we'll give it a whirl :)
Jinx

Postby Stormcaller3801 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:23 pm

It might also be worth checking out TF2Maps.net, as they're a community devoted to constant map creation and testing. And they put up with me, so they'll put up with just about anybody.
Stormcaller3801

Postby Draco18s » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:02 pm

Any minimum level of texturing required/desired? I've got more than just dev colors, but mostly just on the floors and a few other things. I don't particularly like doing texturing, so I'd like to put it off as long as possible (doing a little here and there along the way).
Draco18s

Postby Stormcaller3801 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:59 pm

Generally speaking, if I was to test out a map my primary thought would be towards anything that would influence the game play. Uneven footing? Not going to matter. Corrugated aluminum wall, providing cover in what's otherwise a Sniper's paradise? Matters big time. Other than that, just make sure everything works. I was testing a map the other day (not on TFP) that would only end if the BLU team won. If RED managed to run out the clock... well, they ran out the clock, but the game would keep going. Which is rather frustrating if you're on RED, as I was. Although I have to admit I was a better Demoman that round than I'd ever been before, or since...
Stormcaller3801

Postby Draco18s » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:44 pm

Alright. I'll see if I can whip out the Round 2 functional entities and throw it up on some webspace.

I've had a few friends look it over and provide critiques on various cover and point access routes, which is why it moved from a 3 round map to a 2 round map (not counting the max 8 points on a single map issue, which can be worked around).
Draco18s

Return to Team Fortress 2