[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
The Furry Pound forums • View topic - Engie, Demoman, Soldier - Update Ideas

Engie, Demoman, Soldier - Update Ideas

Discuss TF2! Or don't. Whatever takes your fancy.

Postby Fenriswulfdemon » Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:58 pm

For Soldier I want:

Reinforced Combat Boots: Reduces Rocket jump damage/Fall damage. Negative would be no Shotgun. Possibly allows higher rocket jumps, but if so, should break over a few uses or something.

5-Shot Rocket Launcher: Reduced damage, and lower rocket jump
Variant
6-Shot Rocket Launcher: Reduced damage, no crits

Some kinda crit shovel/survival knife I dunno: After every melee kill the next rocket shot is crit, slower speed

Not very well thought out, but that's the kinda stuff I want. Also maybe a helmet against sniper shots or something. Double-barrel shotgun would be nice too.
Fenriswulfdemon

Postby Stormcaller3801 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:48 pm

Okay, having thought about it, I want to suggest the video I linked to here as inspiration for a Demoman alternative melee weapon.
Stormcaller3801

Postby Ayeaka » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:06 am

I was thinking over Demo, and the 4th of July celebrations over here added to.

Unlocks are supposed to offer an alternative gameplay option. The spy's watches perform this function beautifully, as has huntsman for the sniper.

Standard flamethrower pyros are more defensive, and team-focused, while a backburner pyro, ideally, plays more like a hit and run version of the spy.

A heavy with Sascha is focusing on simply mowing things down; a heavy with Natascha shifts focus somewhat to slow faster enemies not only to help them hit them.. but to benefit rush players, such as scouts, and pyros, making the slowed targets easier to eliminate.

Each unlock set has at least one object, (or so,) which drastically alters gameplay, some more than others. I don't feel this would be pipebombs, for demoman. It really wouldn't. The alternative would do something better, and something worse, benefitting some players more than others, as always.. but when you get to the core of things...

the potential showstopper, or alteration, would be to change the stickybombs' function.

And I was thinking... why not an explosive similar the 'burst' fireworks you see? It would be timed, like pipes, but could easily be focused on clearing wider areas, like stickies.

It would have an initial weak burst, then break apart, in a wider burst range. The individual bursts would be weaker than a sticky explosion, but the wider range would still do quite a bit of damage, if appropriately used.

It would offer a different playstyle, while remaining true to the demoman.

To balance things, they'd be slower firing, but if properly planned, you could have a beautiful chain-reaction going on, and would work wonderfully for defending smaller rooms.
Frau Chimäre~
The doctor will see you now.
Ayeaka

Postby JimmyChopblock » Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:12 am

I want sacrafice tactics in the engie/demoman updates. it would introduce a whole new fucking tactic to a game that is getting stale.

What do i mean by this?

Demoman can cover a TEAMMATE in stickies. Said teammate can kamikazi his ass into a fortified enemy area. Demo's responsibility to detonate on time and it causes your teammate to lose his life. Although griefing could become an issue with this one. Perhaps an "acceptance" system would have to be put in place so that only an accepting teammate will take your kamikazi load.

For the engie, not so much of a sacrafice, but i think they should be able to hand off equipment to teammates to take somewhere and drop off. Now, as long as they hold said equipment they would not be able to attack without dropping it.
JimmyChopblock

Postby Nocturnefoxx » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:16 pm

...but you can call me Emerson.
Nocturnefoxx

Postby Stormcaller3801 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:02 pm

I'd imagine that if you were going to do some sort of radar, your best bet would be an anti-Spy device. Let it do a sensor sweep of an area, and any Spy it hits is glossed over with their team color, akin to what happens with the Cloak & Dagger if you run out of power. But it only lasts for as long as they're in the rotating beam, and the radar has to have uninterrupted LOS to them. Which basically means you'd want it set up in the center of an open area, making it significantly more vulnerable. If you replaced the Dispenser with it, you could have an interesting team of this thing and the Sentry Gun, although not without problems: rather like the SG detecting an enemy on the other side of your Dispenser. It shoots it until it blows up... You could also make the sensor sweep just slow enough that a Spy could potentially wait, rush in behind the sweep, and either sap the radar array or just run through the area undetected. Which would mean you'd want to spycheck anyone who's staying just out of range of the sweep, waiting for it to go past. And a particularly good Spy could still sap the radar, sap the SG, kill the Engie, grab the intel, and run.

I like the idea of a more offensive Engineer. I wonder if you couldn't do something that would more or less encourage front line fighting- or at least front line support. For instance, inflatable decoys. Works akin to the Spy's disguise kit, but replaces the Pistol. Toss a can down and it inflates into a random class in your team colors; your team sees it as a balloon, like this, but to the other team it seems real- albeit motionless and not shooting. If you want a bit more punch to it, let kills result in stunning any enemies in melee range. Perfect for windows, sniper decks, and nipping off for 40 winks while leaving your Sentry Gun 'attended.'
Stormcaller3801

Postby Stormcaller3801 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:53 pm

Stormcaller3801

Postby Sekh765 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:42 pm

teamfortress2.com

New update. possible hint to soldier update?
Your friendly local Buffett-Bird spy. ^_^
My spy video!
Sekh765

Postby Ayeaka » Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:21 am

It would make sense.

Soldier first, then Engie vs. Demoman for the grand finale.
Frau Chimäre~
The doctor will see you now.
Ayeaka

Postby Stormcaller3801 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:12 pm

Alternative primary weapon idea for the Soldier (since all the update speculation got me thinking again):

The Multiple Rocket Launcher! Basic idea I had was that it trades oomph for splash, dealing less damage but dealing it to a larger area, since you're firing four rockets at once. Unfortunately they're also inaccurate (this helps widen the splash zone) so they're terrible against a lone target, but if you're looking to deal out some hurt in a wide radius this is the weapon for you. Obviously allows the Soldier to play more defensively, but also means that he's more effective versus the lighter classes such as the Scout, since being able to fill an area with explosions makes it much harder to dodge. Needless to say you can also saturate sniper decks, have better odds of finding that cloaked Spy, and make all of an Engie's buildings start complaining at once.

Downsides I've thought of include no rocket jumping (weight, and the downside of having four rockets hit you for 51 damage apiece, when you only have 200 health), reduced ammo (16 shots gives you four volleys), or longer reload times. I've also considered the other thing associated with the M202a1: it was an incendiary rocket launcher, designed to replace the flamethrower. Giving it the ability to light people on fire within the splash could be interesting. And more dangerous, since it could hit the firing Soldier...
Stormcaller3801

PreviousNext

Return to Team Fortress 2