[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
The Furry Pound forums • View topic - Gentlemanly Combat..

Gentlemanly Combat..

Discuss TF2! Or don't. Whatever takes your fancy.

Postby NikkyVix » Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:24 pm

I'm a (semi-) regular reader of Ubercharged.net, which is a website dedicated to all kinds of tales of silly Team Fortress 2 happenings. There was an article posted recently which made me think, not just for the seemingly high improbability that the events it could come to pass, but for the simple high idealism it represents.

I for one have been an advocate of a form of Gentlemanly Combat for quite some time, if only because I feel dirty associating with the stat-hungry K:D/Achievement-obsessed crowd. The article linked to with the image above explains better than I care to...I think most might feel I get too long-winded in my posts anyway. And the fun thing is it doesn't need everyone to work...just you. :3
NikkyVix
Site Admin

Postby Arcalane » Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:07 pm

I have actually been known to compliment both teammates and allies on managing to kill someone with the cannons in Air Buccaneers. It might not sound that hard, but at significant range, with drift, lead and ballistic drop to account for, it takes incredible luck to accomplish.
Arcalane
Huzzah!

Postby Angry_Squirrel » Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:58 pm

I'm a little confused. Are we supposed to compliment those we kill in battle as well?

Those spectacularly entertaining deaths (primarily when playing with my friends) are of course always going to be commented on (when possible ie. alltalk), but most often not when killing other people.

Nothing makes me laugh than unexpected surprise attacks, like ninja heavies. What's that spy? You're chasing after someone going into spawn? Shame on you! POW, HA-HA! *Feels like a train hit me, but it was just the KGB!*
Angry_Squirrel

Postby Ayeaka » Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:43 am

I've complimented the enemy on killing me a few. Usually when it's just something like DAAAAAAMN.

Like, I'm a scout, and have been evading a sniper--out of nowhere a soldier gets me with a dead-on crit rocket.

Or when I'm spy, and a demo that didn't even know I was there manages to rocket my corpse up onto the roof.

One time someone managed to lodge my n ragdoll in the ceiling--I just had to lol at it, a bit.
Frau Chimäre~
The doctor will see you now.
Ayeaka

Postby Nocturnefoxx » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:00 pm

No. This is a video game and thus serius biziness. I will rage, cry, and question the nature of the universe everytime my ass gets owned. Then I will post about it on a forum.

Haha, naw, just kiddin', yo.
...but you can call me Emerson.
Nocturnefoxx

Postby Purplecat » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:07 pm

Nothing is more pleasant than running towards that annoying sniper who is dominating you with sandman, and use the sandman taunt on him. Admittly snipers aren't exactly known to be aware of their surroundings but even then...

I love pull off revenges in unusual ways. I usually congratulate people when they manage to pull these off on me too. Being fingerbanged to death is a such rare occurrence anyway.
Purplecat
Site Admin

Postby Stormcaller3801 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:35 pm

I'm all in favor of this both with regards to the opposing team and general competitiveness. I'm all in favor of working together, but it's important to realize that winning isn't everything, and at least some of the time you're going to be playing with people who are not as competitive or oriented on winning as you are. Some of the most fun games I've played of late have been ones where everyone declares they're just going to goof off or it's less focused on winning and more on idle chatter.

Granted, getting killed over and over (and over, and over, and over) again by someone on the other team while your teammates are all just idly chatting is frustrating, but it seems to be my lot in life. Or at least my lot in TF2.

It's also worth noting that if you're not having fun, consider not playing. I don't mean ragequitting, I mean we're all here to have fun. If you're not, don't force yourself to keep at it. Take a break- either try a different server or just walk away from the computer and relax for a while. If it's just frustrating you, taking it out on teammates or opponents isn't going to do anything except spread it around.
Stormcaller3801

Postby Mr. Munchlax » Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:38 pm

Who do you think you are? Bleeding Action Man?!
Mr. Munchlax

Postby Stormcaller3801 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:17 pm

In the spirit of gentlemanly combat, I want to make a public apology to Misfortune. It was late, I was frustrated by the constant yelling about getting things done and the perception that I was more or less being ignored, but that doesn't excuse lashing out at you when you asked me a perfectly legitimate question. I apologize for being an ass and blowing up on channel.
Stormcaller3801

Postby NikkyVix » Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:17 pm

NikkyVix
Site Admin

Next

Return to Team Fortress 2