Valve is punishing bad servers

Post any TF2-related news here.

Postby Purplecat » Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:32 am

Basically servers where players stay for a extremly short time will be punished. In won't affect community servers, but will defiantly punish "Tom's empty 20 player servers" which apparently have plagued players. It should also encourage server owners to not lie to their visitors. :)
Purplecat
Site Admin

Postby NikkyVix » Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:42 am

I am all for this solution.

At work, testing some workstations by running some games of TF2 in them, I found a few of these bad servers..one with a name of 'Xepher' in the title, reporting that 20-player count. I hopped on and there was nothing but me and a bunch of dead air. I really wanted to show the owners no mercy and start a blood harvest until the death toll reached over 9,000, but that wouldn't have been very feasible on work time.

I don't get the point of advertizing in that fashion when all one does is piss people off when they empty a server. Fortunately, with the numbers we pull in, TFP's servers will never have that sort of problem!
NikkyVix
Site Admin

Postby Helios » Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:08 am

Someone has L4D on their mind >v>

And interesting solution by Valve here, but I can say that it's a wise one. Not only will this leave ours more or less unaffected, but it will help improve the game experience overall.
I do not pray for an easy life. I pray to be a stronger bird.
Helios

Return to News