[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
The Furry Pound forums • View topic - The Big Red One (War Update Part 5)

The Big Red One (War Update Part 5)

Post any TF2-related news here.

Postby Tehrasha » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:50 am

http://www.teamfortress.com/war/part5/index.htm

And a weapon upgrade that actually makes sense....
Last edited by Tehrasha on Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Everything I've learned in TF2, I've learned from watching Doom kick my ass!
Tehrasha

Postby Fox Vert » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:57 am

I've often said I'd be dangerous if I could aim. This weapon will allow me to demonstrate the fact by dying frequently whilst killing rarely. I do like the sound of faster rockets, but targets any distance away will still probably be able to shift out of the way.
Now with added Brain Slug
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrFoxVert
Fox Vert

Postby CrashFu » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:32 am

I LOVE it. It's interesting enough when they design the class updates in order to enhance existing qualities of a class (giving Pyro the backburner, or the spy those alternate watch types) but I think it really amuses me more when they design the updates in such a way as to counteract major negative features of a class.

IE, the Sniper class was seen as a total loner loser who has to hide far away from the action and who spent more time dueling other snipers than actually supporting his team at all... so they gave him a bow to encourage getting closer to the front lines, and Jarate, which is, well... the best support tool in the game. Demo-man has always been seen as a total coward who can't do anything but spam explosives over a wall or through a doorway, so they give him all this melee gear to encourage him to go charge right up to his foes. And now the Soldier, who has always been known as the total noob class who can't do anything except spam rockets towards general directions, has this new skill-oriented weapon.

Two minor concerns I'm having, however... mini-crits on airborne targets? Aren't heavies really the only ones who will survive one of these rockets in the first place, considering they do 25% more damage than the normal rockets? So the mini crits will really only come into play if someone air-blasts a heavy into the air, right? Or I suppose the demo-men too, now that they'll have the option of being ultra-resistant to this type of damage. Still, what's the point of the mini crits at all?

Secondly, a fast-moving projectile-based weapon that does massive damage to (usually) one target at a time. Doesn't that pretty much just make this the huntsman with smoke trails?

But on the bright side, the massive decrease in blast radius and faster projectile speed means that this will be the ultimate close-up weapon. In the nearly halved time it takes for THESE rockets to hit you, you simply won't have the time to dodge. But unlike the normal ones, Soldier won't even have to worry about taking SLIGHT amounts of self-damage. He'll take no damage at all!

... ... wait, that's not the bright side. That's yet another class becoming much better than the pyro at what the pyro is supposed to be good at. D'oh! :P

How do you suppose this thing will affect rocket jumping?
CrashFu

Postby Sekh765 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:50 am

25% extra damage will mean it will deal a MAX of 140 damage at point blank. Provided it uses base rocket launcher stat.

Now this is subject to fall off from distance, so your looking at the rocket probably instakilling any 125 health class on a direct hit from medium range. 150+ classes are safe though. This means Scout Engi Spy Sniper have a possibility of being instakilled from short ranges, everyone else is ok.
Your friendly local Buffett-Bird spy. ^_^
My spy video!
Sekh765

Postby Mr. Munchlax » Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:41 am

Interesting, airblasting those things will be fun. >:3
Who do you think you are? Bleeding Action Man?!
Mr. Munchlax

Postby Tehrasha » Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:51 am

Everything I've learned in TF2, I've learned from watching Doom kick my ass!
Tehrasha

Postby Purplecat » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:11 am

The announcer is the real enemy in this war...
Purplecat
Site Admin

Postby SilverWolf » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:33 am

SilverWolf

Postby Nocturnefoxx » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:47 pm

I am Soldier and I approve of this weapon. Oh fuck do I approve. :V
...but you can call me Emerson.
Nocturnefoxx

Postby MaskedJackal » Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:30 pm

FINALLY something that encourages aim. Thank you Valve!
Image◕ ‿ ◕
MaskedJackal

Next

Return to News