[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
The Furry Pound forums • View topic - August 31 update: Idlers BEWARE

August 31 update: Idlers BEWARE

Post any TF2-related news here.

Postby Nocturnefoxx » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:58 pm

...but you can call me Emerson.
Nocturnefoxx

Postby Stormcaller3801 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:07 pm

Stormcaller3801

Postby Sekh765 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:16 am

I'm not sure prefacing an email with "I'm not sure what you people were thinking" is a good way to get someone to actually read your email. :\
Your friendly local Buffett-Bird spy. ^_^
My spy video!
Sekh765

Postby Angry_Squirrel » Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:33 am

Hey guys, anyone feel like writing again to Valve?

It was postulated that the reason no action was taken for 3 months until just now was Valve realizing just what was going on. By this, I mean someone thought that the Lawyers realized "hey Valve down the road this might be a problem for us." Some attorney out there had a light switch flip on suddenly and informed Valve that they needed to stop this.

An e-mail to Robin or Gabe would probably be able to find out more - while a response for such a statement would not stop people from complaining still, I'm certain it would put many people's minds at ease.
Angry_Squirrel

Postby Stormcaller3801 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:57 am

I doubt that. Most companies will operate according to plans- long, medium, and short range. With the development of the item drop system, I would expect that Valve moved immediately on to other things- including the Classless Update. Resources that were being taken up were moved to something else. The development of the idler issue was unexpected- but they likely didn't have the resources (programmers, project teams, and so on) to put on the problem immediately. You don't succeed in business if you let resources sit idle. You keep them working. When they realized the idler issue, which couldn't have taken very long, it probably became as much a question of when as what. Identify the problem, propose solutions, establish the return on investment (i.e., which solution solves the problem best), and determine when you can put resources to work on it. I would expect that other projects were shuffled around according to priority, but they couldn't just up and drop everything. That meant they had to wait. Once the resources were there, it was a matter of determining if it worked (likely a simple 'find the idler' test) and then implementation. Now we're at the point where they're evaluating the results. I expect the fix is part of that, a quick adjustment using simple database modification, maybe running off the achievements system- rechecking all the achievements and if you meet the requirements but don't have the item, it appears.

Which may accidentally help out people who deleted items they got via achievement. But that's a guess.
Stormcaller3801

Postby Purplecat » Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:17 am

Purplecat
Site Admin

Postby Pathia » Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:27 am

I'm still missing almost everything I ever had, I got back a few achievement items, but not all of them. The only item I got via idling that I didn't before was the KGB. Supposedly the 'fix' has been implemented, so it appears they're not giving us back anything.

Time for achievement maps I guess, joy.
Pathia

Postby Milas » Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:43 am

This is going off topic a bit, but until all this halo junk blows over, or at least everyone calms down a bit; I think I shall hide out in Gmod more than play TF2.

Maybe I'll see if heavy weapons guy can enjoy a sandvich pool....

I'm mentioning this here incase anyone else may wish to join me for at least the next few days till the majority of the active TF2 players calm down.
Milas

Postby Listy » Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:46 am

Listy

Postby Arcalane » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:54 am

Arcalane
Huzzah!

PreviousNext

Return to News