[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
The Furry Pound forums • View topic - More dot-commy mumbo jumbo for you bunch of women

More dot-commy mumbo jumbo for you bunch of women

Post any TF2-related news here.

Postby Purplecat » Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:08 pm

Purplecat
Site Admin

Postby Pitchblack » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:10 am

Because people expect teh heavy to be able to stand at the front of the pack, revved up, and somehow manage to grind through everything, without dying. It doesn't work that way.

But a properly played heavy can easily rape an entire team.
*They stand in my road
.....The mad, ancient nasty things
.......... tell them MOVE! or else!*
Pitchblack

Postby NikkyVix » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:30 am

NikkyVix
Site Admin

Postby Ayeaka » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:42 am

I don't understand why people whine about heavy either.

He's a WONDERFUL class, just not a one man army.

And I don't see why people expect him to be one.

He works wonderful with proper ambushing, and is a DEFENSIVE class, this means he's very good at defending teammates--like shooting down that spy you see about to stab a sniper.

And honestly, despite being the slowest class in the game, he's perfectly mobile as long as you know when not to rev. Sandvich was too much of a crutch, imo, for the way I play. I'm very cautious as heavy. I shoot, make my kill, unrev, and retreat. I ambush a lot. Shotgun works well for that. Don't have time to rev? No problem, blast that scout apart with shotty.

Honestly, my only complaint as heavy is when a medic decides to kritz me when I'm waiting for an ambush. Now, if I have a medic in the area at the time and I'm being an active combatant, that's one thing. Sure, I'll gladly mow down whatever's near, to the best of my ability.

But when I'm hidden around a corner, or above spawn or something, (waiting on a ledge to drop down,) I don't like being critz'd, having to unrev so that I can move, rapidly re-rev, and still be expected to magically destroy everything. I'm sorry, doesn't work that way. Kritz are short, and perhaps I'd have killed more than four people if I knew one was coming. D:

(not counting emergency 'fuck use it before we die' kritz, naturally. Those are acceptable in any situation. I've seen more than one successful engie pistol kritz.)
Frau Chimäre~
The doctor will see you now.
Ayeaka

Postby Ayeaka » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:47 am

I suppose I'm an odd heavy for NOT wanting a 24/7 buttbuddy, then?

Ambushing is easier when you DON'T have a glowing trail coming out of your ass. And if you're ambushing repeatedly, you're only putting a medic in unneeded danger.

When going for a goal, often you want a medic tailing you regardless of class, to ensure success, but typically, this involves additional players for the purpose of grabbing intel, or taking out a base to take the point, so that's a bit unneeded there, imo.

A medic makes any combatant more effective if they know what they're doing. It doesn't matter whether it's a heavy, a pyro, a soldier, or a demoman. Heavy is perfectly effective WITHOUT a medic, as well.

If the enemy team has lots of medic pairs, then YES, you need medic pairs of your own to counter them. But again, that's REGARDLESS of class.

Wouldn't you argue that a medic-pyro is more effective than a solo pyro? Or a medic-demo more effective than a solo demo?

What you're failing to see is that while a medic-heavy is EXTREMELY effective, and a solo heavy somewhat less so, this is true of ANY medic pairing.
Frau Chimäre~
Ayeaka

Postby Pitchblack » Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:03 am

Actually, I'd argue that a medic-pyro can be much more effective most of the time than a medic-heavy, at least on offense. As long as the pyro isn't w+m1ing, and is playing even somewhat smart, the pair is a lot more mobile than a medic-heavy and can cause almost as much damage, especially with the extra health the pyro has.

And in a further note, uber-heavy is one of the less effective ubers out there, unless you pop it literally inches from the enemy's face. When playing medic, I uber pyros, demos, and soldiers a *lot* more than a uber heavies.

So, while a medic-heavy is more useful than just a normal heavy, as Ayeaka pointed out, unless you're wanting to survive right on the front lines as the heavy, you're still quite effective in most circumstances.
*They stand in my road
.....The mad, ancient nasty things
.......... tell them MOVE! or else!*
Pitchblack

Postby Stormcaller3801 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:19 am

A good Heavy can deny an area, wipe out a rush, defend a point, and support an assault. He can absorb a huge amount of damage relative to the other classes and maintain a steady barrage of fire with one of the largest ammo supplies and threat areas in the game. He is not agile, fast, invincible, or capable of beating the other classes on their terms.

If you play a Heavy as nigh invincible with an autowin gun, just running out in the middle of the battlefield and blazing away at unseen enemies, you will die. Repeatedly, and with little to show for it. If you work with the rest of your team, keep in mind that you're a big, fat, loud target, and do unto others without allowing them to do unto you, you'll probably still die, but only after you've put holes in the guys on the other side, more often than not.
Stormcaller3801

Postby Ayeaka » Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:52 am

Mhm.

Well, an uber heavy can be effective, it just depends on where you are, and what's going on.

Heavies are very effective against sentry farms you can go in at around the corner.
Any uber's situational, though. I mean, you don't want an uber pyro if you're about to go against something up in the air where the pyro can't get to. You want a soldier, or preferably, a demoman.
However, with kritz, heavy's GOD, if he has quick reflexes, and the pair will be able to flee after.
(Whereas you'd want demo or soldier kritz on payload's tighter areas, and possibly kritz pyro for pursuing fleeing enemies.)
Doesn't mean that heavy's useless there, just that he's better applied to other situations.

(But anything with an uber can kill a sentry. xD I think there's video of me somewhere laughing like a dumbass as uber spy, wiping out 7+ sentries in Turbine.)
Frau Chimäre~
Ayeaka

Postby NikkyVix » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:17 am

Didn't this thread start on the Soldier post on the official Team Fortress blog?

I swear some folk exist just to debate and counter-argue.
NikkyVix
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to News