Vote for your Server Names!

For TFP server admins to post news or information related to the game servers.

TFP Server Name

Poll ended at Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:26 am

US #1: TFP Andromeda/US #2: TFP Bahamut/EU #1: TFP Caprica
26%
US #1: Winbomb/US #2: Sandvich/EU #1: Facestab
32%
US #1: Grim Bloody Fable/US #2: Oktoberfest/EU #1: Cuh-rit!
16%
US #1: SHAZBOT!/US #2: Bigglesworth/EU #1: Castlevania
11%
US #1: TFP Alpha/ US #2: TFP Beta/EU #1: TFP Omega
16%

Total votes : 19

Postby NikkyVix » Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:29 am

Pathia wrote:
NikkyVix wrote:
Where were you when we made this post?
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=451

The hospital.

I remember, as I'm sure you know.

What I want everyone to take away from this is we admins are NOT mind-readers. If a contingent of our playerbase was against giving the servers their own individual names, they should have spoken up about it sooner if it really mattered to them, and in no way is it OUR fault if their perspectives are not raised for them in lieu of such silence. If we had been given this feedback, then perhaps we would have known that not everyone was interested in the idea of naming.

As it stands, it'll likely still go through unless there's some great upheaval against the naming convention or the names chosen. We aren't against reversing decisions if it seems best for the community.

But we shouldn't have to get to that point in the first place. We rely on the rest of you to give us feedback BEFORE we do something you may not like, because as stated above, we are not mind-readers. Everyone: Keep that in mind the next time we make a post about a change to the server which will impact you all in some way.

EDIT: And while I'm at it...I can't help but wonder what 'drama' you're all expecting from this. Naming the server is likely going to be as influential on your play as the appearance of the MotD; it's just a server designation. Are some of you expecting a jihad over the name of a box you'll not even be thinking of when you're trying to retake the bomb on pl_badwater? Just tossing that out there as a little bit of gristle to chew on for the more....sensationalist types in our community.
NikkyVix
Site Admin

Postby Pathia » Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:37 am

NikkyVix wrote:
I remember, as I'm sure you know.

What I want everyone to take away from this is we admins are NOT mind-readers. If a contingent of our playerbase was against giving the servers their own individual names, they should have spoken up about it sooner if it really mattered to them, and in no way is it OUR fault if their perspectives are not raised for them in lieu of such silence. If we had been given this feedback, then perhaps we would have known that not everyone was interested in the idea of naming.

As it stands, it'll likely still go through unless there's some great upheaval against the naming convention or the names chosen. We aren't against reversing decisions if it seems best for the community.

But we shouldn't have to get to that point in the first place. We rely on the rest of you to give us feedback BEFORE we do something you may not like, because as stated above, we are not mind-readers. Everyone: Keep that in mind the next time we make a post about a change to the server which will impact you all in some way.

Only 16 people have voted so far. How many regulars do we actually have? That seems a pretty poor turnout so far.

EDIT: And while I'm at it...I can't help but wonder what 'drama' you're all expecting from this. Naming the server is likely going to be as influential on your play as the appearance of the MotD; it's just a server designation. Are some of you expecting a jihad over the name of a box you'll not even be thinking of when you're trying to retake the bomb on pl_badwater? Just tossing that out there as a little bit of gristle to chew on for the more....sensationalist types in our community.

No drama, I just don't like the given choices :P I have no problem with naming the servers.
Pathia

Postby NikkyVix » Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:43 am

Pathia wrote:Only 16 people have voted so far. How many regulars do we actually have? That seems a pretty poor turnout so far.
No drama, I just don't like the given choices :P I have no problem with naming the servers.

Speaking candidly, here...it IS a poor turnout. As I commented in the other post: 144 views and only 7 responses?

In the end, the vast majority of people who play on the servers and frequent these forums (judging by what's seen) likely just don't give a damn about this sort of thing. Or, at least not enough to offer their input one way or another. They may just only care insofar as the service being available, fast and free for them to enjoy, and this is all just needless window-dressing to them. Half the people who suggested names were the admins..some others just tossed out joke names which ended up getting a vote or two anyway.
NikkyVix
Site Admin

Postby Pathia » Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:48 am

NikkyVix wrote:
Speaking candidly, here...it IS a poor turnout. As I commented in the other post: 144 views and only 7 responses?

Half the people who suggested names were the admins..some others just tossed out joke names which ended up getting a vote or two anyway.

When people don't care, they don't vote. They don't care so much to even bother to say they don't care. That's really hard to measure. On the up side, it probably means they don't care enough to bitch when the names suddenly change :)

Addition: It's my observation of power in the fandom is that in certain things, it's best that the admins just pick and just DO IT, because furries are freaking fickle and emotional. If there's never even an option to complain, then it won't happen. FA is notorious about this, they put a vote up, there's emo, then the admins make a choice, then there's even MORE whining and constant grumble about it forever (I am sure some of you can guess which incident I am referring to). Whereas, if they had just decided via ultimatum, it would have been less messy with a greatly reduced amount of omgleavingfandomforever.

Since it seems you guys were the only ones genuinely interested in naming the servers, you might have wanted to do a private vote. Too late for that though :/
Pathia

Previous

Return to Server News Rules & Announcements