Next Weekend's Map Test

For TFP server admins to post news or information related to the game servers.

Postby Arcalane » Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:38 pm

I figured it's about time we sorted a few things out and brought in some new maps. TFP#2 will be used for the testing. If you wish to challenge existing recommendations for whatever reason, go for it.

For now, I just want the 'best picks' of suggested maps so far - the ones that are actually worth full testing. Not fun maps. Those we can add without testing because they won't go on the rotation, so it's not such a huge issue (like ringking, soccer and whathaveyou)

As a sidenote, if you wish to explore the maps, please do so in advance. Download the maps and use the Create Server option to explore and familiarize yourself with the terrain. The aim of the testing is to see how it plays with multiple people in a "live combat" scenario and nothing else.

List so far;

CP Aqua
CP Beam Valley v2
CP Boulder v2
CP Switchback
CP Avanti
TC Spectre
ARENA Watchtower
ARENA Dojo B2

## Second Wave! ##

These will be up for testing in the future. Don't want to stick too many on the list just yet.
CTF Aerospace
TC Atlantic
CTF Waterworks

Now, remember. I want the best of the best. Maps that look good and will hopefully play good.

Ed: (24/09/08*) Added Beam Valley to the lineup since we had a shot at it last weekend.
Ed2: (24/09/08) Beam Valley link updated to Beam Valley v2.
Ed3: (27/09/08) Atlantic and Dojo B2 added to first wave, second wave added.

*(DD/MM/YY)

~~

Seriously guys if I don't get more feedback I'm just going to say fuck it and throw in the towel. If you want the new maps then you're going to have to work with me and the other admins more. Right now I feel like I'm doing a lot of work for something that may not happen and may not even be all that appreciated.
Arcalane
Huzzah!

Postby Jake Monroe » Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:15 pm

we should at least test the Fun Pyro Airblast maps just to make sure they work. I don't want to throw one of them on the server only to have it break or something.
SiRK: There's [SFW], [NSFW] and [STRAY]
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
Jake Monroe

Postby NikkyVix » Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:08 pm

That's a lot of CP maps, and as I've noticed, CP matches tend to dominate our map selections.

Let's see if we can get some more popular maps of other modes in for consideration. Even Arena, because the current batch we try to avoid is growing rather stale.
NikkyVix
Site Admin

Postby Arcalane » Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:17 pm

This is quite true, but good CTF, ARENA and TC maps are in critically short supply. If you have any suggestions, I'd love to hear them. :|

First post updated with new TC and ARENA maps for the first wave, and a CTF map for the next. Also something of an ultimatum because I'm getting jack shit in feedback here so I honestly can't gauge people's opinions (I'm not a fucking mindreader) and I'm not exactly feeling enthusiastic about this for obvious reasons.
Arcalane
Huzzah!

Postby River » Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:13 am

River

Postby NikkyVix » Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:19 am

Gotcha! And here I go thwarting my own point by offering the previously mentioned CP Arena Trains

[ http://www.fpsbanana.com/maps/63130 ]
For its merit, though, it is not a CP map that is played in the more traditional back and forth CP fashion..it is an alternate concept map that has far more in relation to Arena (and even more with the Jailbreak mod of UT2K4).

There's also CTF Geothermal
[ http://www.fpsbanana.com/maps/48692 ]
A well balanced map with enough capacity for ambush and denial, yet (in my experience) much less likely to stalemate than 2Fort.

CTF Quarry
[ http://www.fpsbanana.com/maps/40889 ]
Comes highly rated, with multiple pathways to and from the enemy's base.

CTF Pepper
[ http://www.fpsbanana.com/maps/48117 ]
Another alternate-concept map:
This is more of a concept map then your regular TF2 maps. Taking place in a small concrete pit in the middle of nowhere, each team starts off directly in front of each other with only the middle tower separating them. Both team must fight over a single flag that lies in the top of the middle tower and try to bring it to their team’s tower in order to score a point.

ARENA Nightshift
[ http://www.fpsbanana.com/maps/65072 ]
As pointed first by River. Excellent points for design. Looks like a sweet map for sneaking and strategic movement.
NikkyVix
Site Admin

Postby Arcalane » Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:31 am

Well that went well! Second wave will probably be in a couple of weeks. We had to skip watchtower, I'll look into that later.

My thoughts;

Avanti - horribly stacked in favour of the defending team, poor directions, confusing playstyle... this is not a winner in my books.

Spectre - actually went quite well, seemed good enough, and not prone to failmates (unlike hydro)

Atlantic - same as Spectre, didn't seem too failmate-prone, will be nice to see more TC maps.

Aqua - pretty good, a little confusing at first and apparently it made several people want to go take a piss, but most seemed unaffected.

Switchback - big, best with big teams if you ask me. A solid 12v12 CP map with well placed moving spawns.

Dojo - a quick and brutal ARENA map best suited for small teams. Good for melee-arena mode.

Thanks for joining, guys. Turnout was better than I expected. I'll try and get things more organized for the weekend after next so that people have plenty more warning.
Arcalane
Huzzah!

Postby Jinx » Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:55 pm

Unfortunately I came in on the tail end so I can only give my opinion on 3 of the maps.

cp_switchback: Looks like a tall narrow corridor. I think it could use maybe a few more side routes / open areas, but other than that this was my favorite of the 3 that I played... would love to see this get added. Also looks like the second to last point is going to be a major pain to capture / hold XD

tc_spectre: Very aesthetically pleasing, I love the watery dock area. The two spawns seem ridiculously close together leading to constant, big battles. Because of this it looks to be less stalemate prone and so far I'm liking it more than hydro... could possibly use more testing but I would like to see this one get added as well.

tc_atlantic: I like the use of the new alpine textures, but other than that I'm not sure what else I like about this map. The capture points seem either too easy or too difficult to hold--never somewhere in the middle. I get a very noticeable fps drop around the missile. The paths also seemed needlessly complex, I found myself getting lost more than when I was first learning Steel. One of the spawn points was especially ridiculous, I found myself taking more than 20 seconds just to find my way out of spawn. Could use more testing, but as it stands now I think we should hold out for a later version of atlantic.
Jinx

Return to Server News Rules & Announcements