Community Announcement: Trolls and Demos

For TFP server admins to post news or information related to the game servers.

Postby Sekh765 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:23 am

Trolls and how to deal with them.

--

Heya, It has been noticed that in our attempts to combat the trolls on the servers, a good deal of our player base either does not know the correct commands to catch these people, or can't access them fast enough to help us in removing them from our servers, so I have crafted a short guide, as well as some binds so that you can quickly and effeciently record demo's for your administration staff!

--

So the first thing you need to know is how to record a demo once you have got one of these players on your server. The basic way is to enter your console and type record Troll. You might need to turn your developer console on so that you can access this (default key is your tilde ~, the key right above tab, to the left of 1) To turn it on, go to your Options, then keyboard, Advanced, Enable Developer Console.

(This is the Dev Console for you Newer folk.)

This will start steam recorder. Do not worry about size! Steam demo files are incredibly small and the recorder (on most computers) causes 0 lag.

Next thing you will want to do (especially if its a particularly bad/blatant troll, is grab their steam_ID. Do this by opening your console again, and typing in Status. Search through the list for their name and save it for the admins. This makes it so they can't just change their name and hide.

Once you have finished recording or an admin has taken care of the situation, open your console one final time and type in stop. This will stop the demo recorder and you can go about your day!

Here are some easy binds for you so that you don't even need to open your console to start demo recordings, incase you want to act quickly.

Open your console and type these binds in.

bind "KP_end" "record Troll"

bind "KP_pgdn" "stop"

Please note that demo files will be saved by default to your steam/steamapps/{your steam id}/team fortress 2/tf directory, and can be accessed there at a later date for any purpose (read: uploading to show the administrative staff).

You can change them from the KP_(whatever) that I use to whatever key you wish. I find using the NUM pad keys useful as they arn't used for anything in TF2. Just be sure to place the key you want inside quotes. Also, you don't have to record the demo as Troll, you can rename it to whatever you like.

These binds will make it so by pressing 1 on your Numpad you will start recording a demo, and pressing 3 on your numpad will stop the demo. Easy and fast!

--

A final note, We know trolls can be irritating, and we want to remove them from our servers as fast as possible but please, Do not tell them if you have gotten an admin to log on/they are in transit. USually this just results in us having inconclusive evidence, or we can't get their steam ID so they just come back a few days later. Hopefully this guide will alleviate both of those problems, but it doesn't help when they are gone by the time an admin arrives.
Your friendly local Buffett-Bird spy. ^_^
My spy video!
Sekh765

Postby Buffalo Bill » Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:33 pm

If you can't grab their steamID before they leave or some other reason, here's a handy thing to do.

Go to their community profile (through add friends -> recently played with -> community profile), copy the large number at the end of the url and paste it in this site:

http://landypro.com/vac/index.php

If they use a custom url, right click "add to friends list" and click properties. There, you'll see the actual url and big number. copy/paste that using the same procedure.
Buffalo Bill

Postby Ayeaka » Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:39 am

I tried, today...

I did.

But when..you have a demo going..
and the enemy team eventually gets you so angry that you lash out, and start screaming at them...
There's no point in trashing the demo. ..by that point you're as guilty as they are.

I'm just going to..not talk anymore.

That seems to help.

Hell, it works in real life, why not here?

Just stay silent, keep your head down...

It's what made people here like me originally, when I was new.. and scared of screwing up. Just keep your head down, assume everything going on is right... assume everyone's just that good, that you're just that predictable. Assume you did something wrong.

It's just..easier.

I'll still record, but...

I'll either be under a fake name to avoid harassment, or simply not talking at all...
Last edited by Ayeaka on Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Frau Chimäre~
The doctor will see you now.
Ayeaka

Postby STrRedWolf » Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:04 pm

I had one place where two groups of people (with blank usernames) actually micspammed... but were singing the whole thing, on TFP #4 this weekend. Would this also fall under policy? A text "No Micspamming" warning was issued.
Steam on Linux Native: "PENGUIN TOUCH MY GUN!" "THAT PENGUIN IS A SPY!"
"This is going to be a real piece of piss, you bloody Steam Linux player!"
STrRedWolf

Postby Sekh765 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:23 pm

People with blank usernames doing anything in these categories should be reported to an admin asap. Start a demo then tell someone. People using blank usernames usually do this to troll since they think they are immune to repercussions from the admins, but we can get their steam id's anyways.
Your friendly local Buffett-Bird spy. ^_^
My spy video!
Sekh765

Postby STrRedWolf » Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:54 pm

FYI, one of the more recent updates over the Halloween weekend has disabled blank/empty usernames in TF2.
Steam on Linux Native: "PENGUIN TOUCH MY GUN!" "THAT PENGUIN IS A SPY!"
"This is going to be a real piece of piss, you bloody Steam Linux player!"
STrRedWolf

Return to Server News Rules & Announcements