[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
The Furry Pound forums • View topic - Spawncamping: The final word

Spawncamping: The final word

For TFP server admins to post news or information related to the game servers.

Postby iller » Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:25 am

iller

Postby Arcalane » Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:25 am

Arcalane
Huzzah!

Postby iller » Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:01 am

The only time I've "attacked" the Engineer when C&D sapping is a single Ambassador headshot to goad him into coming out and playing Hide and Seek with me. I suck at backstabs and Engineer is my main "profession" so I know exactly what to do to make other engineers as unproductive as possible. So I'd see no point at all to "farming" the Engie for points just to keep the Teleporter Down. ...That said, I don't raise a stink when a Spy DOES repeatedly kill me at the spawn, instead I build my Sentry on the Spawn, and duck back into resupply until I hear it being sapped. An Engineer who can't handle a Spy when he's got a Sentry out front and a Regen Cabinet behind him is either Drunk or facing a No-Spread Ambassador Aim-Botter.
iller

Postby NikkyVix » Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:01 pm

NikkyVix
Site Admin

Postby NikkyVix » Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:14 pm

If there are any questions about what is or is not Spawn-camping, we hope you'll forward people to this thread for the officially accepted regulation on it.

Sorry for it taking us over a year to do something like this. :p
NikkyVix
Site Admin

Postby Edward_Lapine » Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:19 am

Yeah er, I made an accout here on TFP to address this issue. Either than that, The Furry Pound has generally been nice to me and I don't wish to be a bother to anyone. Anyways:

Earlier today I was playing a soldier on that new dual payload map (the last part I believe) and I had myself crouched in a corner somewhat near one of the BLU exits and of course, using this strategy I shot rockets out and killed no more than 2-3 folks until I was found out and killed. Immediately after that ordeal, I got harassed by a member for spawn camping and threatened to get an admin to ban me. This is a general thing I do to ambush folks at commonly traversed doorways and corners (which could be used to spawn camp, but I refrain from it despite the fact I think the rule is unnecessary... but I don't wanna get anyone's panties in a bunch here most of all!). An unknown admin came on, told us to stop fighting and told us not to spawn camp... fair enough. I told the person who accused me of spawn camping to fuck off and we continued on our merry way.

Basically anyone with half a brain can combat what you call spawn campers and heaven forbid you use team work to counter it. I don't wish to be a dick but I don't wish to be banned from some dumb whiny, butthurt furry who thinks I'm cheating. I wanna be a good guy here and have fun and all that jazz... I don't want any trouble. I make a conscious effort not to spawn camp and I feel I wasn't in this situation. If you feel otherwise, then the hell with you all, I'll stick to CC2iscool.

Thank you for your time.
Edward_Lapine

Postby Witchiebunny » Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:42 am

You weren't banned or otherwise disciplined for anything more than fighting, it seems. So if you're not spawncamping, don't worry about it. Our admins are pretty well versed in spotting such things (we spent long enough hashing it out, after all) and if you're ambushing people and then moving on, then continue to do so as long as you're not *staying* there.

That said, whether spawncamping is easy to counter or not isn't the issue, it simply isn't allowed here. You're free to play wherever you wish-our aim is to help players have fun, above all else.
Witchiebunny

Postby Tempest » Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:43 am

Is it correct that the primary purpose of anti-spawncamping rules is to prevent people from taking advantage of the fact that one has to be next to a door before it will open thus providing an exploitable disadvantage to positioning?

if so,

Is blocking the only route between a spawn and an objective, without explicitly camping the door itself considered spawn camping?

For example, a blue sniper sniping reds on steel as they emerge onto the red balcony area at the first point. Killing in such an event is not based on the time at which the player left spawn, but rather when the player attempted to advance to the objective.

Another example would be setting up an offensive sentry in the vents on the last point of the second map of cranetop, it will not shoot into spawn, not even to in front of spawn, but it will shoot defenders attempting to advance into the cap room.

A third instance of the same scenario would be offense on Aqua rushing the last point using the ground level route, as it cuts off the route to the red spawn.

The only difference between the three scenarios being the physical distance run between leaving the spawn and being engaged.

Also, since confusion over the subject arose earlier today, Does the term spawn apply to spawn zones to their doors, or all the way out to the invisible walls where some permanently open starting gates are. Since for many maps these zones are the only effective position to snipe from generally for the first points of these maps and sniping from within the spawn is prohibited. Or does the initial-siege cover both offense and defense until the first cap?
Tempest

Postby Tehrasha » Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:36 am

Replace 'sex' with 'spawn-camping' and its dead on.
Thats all I heard in the mic chatter last night....
Everything I've learned in TF2, I've learned from watching Doom kick my ass!
Tehrasha

Postby Witchiebunny » Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:42 pm

If you're sniping from an area that the opposite team cannot get into, then you're spawncamping.

End of Story.
Witchiebunny

PreviousNext

Return to Server News Rules & Announcements