[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
The Furry Pound forums • View topic - King of the Train.

King of the Train.

Think something's terrific? Think something sucks? Rant and rave here. This is a definite "Keep it civil" area, folks. We will be enforcing common courtesy.

Postby pablofiasco » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:03 pm

honestly, the one thing i think that would improve this map:

NO SENTRYS

right there, that helps elimante some of the vcamping problems (F$%king sentrys on the roof, or to side of spawn)
and it means no coming around a corner on the train and dieing becuase of sentry spam (athough, glitching INSIDE the train engine is funny, the sg's shoot you, but cant hit)
pablofiasco

Postby Pathia » Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:24 pm

I enjoy this map, but people have brought up a good point.

The map trial involved 24people playing for a bit and voting, while we have 300 or so people that frequent the servers. How do we get their opinions? I mean, it took me 45minutes to get onto the server the map test night.

It seems like it's something we'd want to have done on a server for a whole week, to balance it out and let everyone have a go, then take a vote afterwards.
Pathia

Postby NikkyVix » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:08 pm

If I may be so candid to express my opinion on the 24 versus 200+ matter:

You've seen our polling threads.
You've seen our suggestion threads.

You also see how little on-the-spot attention they get.

Regardless of how much fanfare and importance we place on a matter like voting, the people of this community by and large can't be bothered to make more than 20 votes in 10 days on naming a map server, and much of the attention there doesn't even involve a vote. What makes you think that we'll ever get a sizable amount of people to pay attention to voting on every map we want to place onto the server?

The 24-versus-200 point is good on paper, but doesn't apply itself to our brand of community with its short attention spans. You're kidding yourselves if you think we'll even get half the people who play on our servers or registered in our group involved in the map selection process (downloading it themselves, playing on some other servers, taking surveys...). But we ARE working on alternatives behind the scenes which still involves those players who actually invest themselves in the process.
NikkyVix
Site Admin

Postby Pathia » Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:29 am

Is there any way to take votes over the long term on the server itself, one vote per steam id? People are too lazy to come to this forum, not to play the game.

Also, I think there was a ton of *shrug* over the naming thing. Maps...obviously seem to stir more emotion. Also, I know at least 5 people who didn't vote for the very same reason I did that didn't ever post on the thread, but they viewed the thread. People didn't vote because they didn't like the options. Same reason national elections have crappy turnouts.
Pathia

Postby Dusty » Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:39 am

Theres a few servers out there that use some sort of plugin that lets you rate the map as you play. It pops up like RTV. I don't know if that would be useful here or not though.
Dusty

Postby Ayeaka » Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:29 am

Going off of Dusty's post. Would something like the following be possible?

A rating system, at the end of a map, 1-5, before the final scoreboard pops up.

Maps voted higher would appear more often as selections for next map; maps voted lower would be pushed down, although nomination would work as normal.
That way, maps we want to play, we'll see more often... and as those tastes change (i've noticed lots of 2fort lately, which make me happy, when it never used to be played, for instance,) map choices will alter to reflect that.
Frau Chimäre~
The doctor will see you now.
Ayeaka

Postby JimmyChopblock » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:38 pm

JimmyChopblock

Postby Echoen » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:35 pm

Played it again last night and while I absolutely love it, and EVERYONE seems to have a wonderful time, 30 minutes is just too long. Early games take about 2-3 minutes and the big games take about 5-8 minutes. So shortening the map to about 16 minutes would be a good idea, in my eyes.
Echoen

Postby Purplecat » Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:57 am

Well for now, King of the train is now offically removed from the mapcycle due to complaints.
Purplecat
Site Admin

Postby NikkyVix » Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:06 am

It can, however, still be requested on the occasional admin-driven spontaneous mapvote.
NikkyVix
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Rants & Raves