[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
The Furry Pound forums • View topic - If you don't use Google, Wikipedia or equilant before asking

If you don't use Google, Wikipedia or equilant before asking

Think something's terrific? Think something sucks? Rant and rave here. This is a definite "Keep it civil" area, folks. We will be enforcing common courtesy.

Postby Purplecat » Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:07 am

Then don't ask at all.

People need to learn to research on their own, especially when it comes to technical stuff. It's not too hard, and it saves my time.
Purplecat
Site Admin

Postby Witchiebunny » Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:51 am

Ailure, you do realize that for some people, even using Google or Wiki can put it over their heads and sometimes they ask looking for a Layman's version of things?

Not everyone is as technically inclined as you or I might be, cut them some slack, hmmm?
Witchiebunny

Postby Purplecat » Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:55 am

My point is that people should try to do some research of their own for at least 5 minutes or so. I was just using Wikiped and Google as examples really. If someone don't know how to use those two, then I gladly tell someone how of course.

This article is popular when it's about question asking.
Purplecat
Site Admin

Postby Dakk » Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:48 am

Kids these days and their dumbassness 8-) 8-) 8-)
Dakk

Postby Marshtomp » Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:15 pm

I still say dont trust Wiki though

Marshtomp

Postby Angry_Squirrel » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:25 pm

One question: What's equilant?

Angry_Squirrel

Postby NikkyVix » Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:41 pm

NikkyVix
Site Admin

Postby Helios » Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:57 pm

To follow up on what Nikky said, practically every teacher in my school says "Don't use Wikipedia for a source." What they fail to realize is that, while using the article itself as a source is a bad idea, the articles are also a goldmine for sources most of the time.

Also, anything on Wikipedia that is untrue or biased is usually pretty easy to see, if you read carefully enough, the bad stuff will stick out like a sore thumb.

Oh and on that note: Every PC in my school has been banned from editing Wikipedia because of Vandalism X>
I do not pray for an easy life. I pray to be a stronger bird.
Helios

Postby Purplecat » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:11 am

Wikipedia have a fairly good coverage when it comes to computer science, math and other fields of science.

I usually use Wikipedia as a start in my information searching. Most vandalism and such on Wikipedia is obvious anyway most of the time.
Purplecat
Site Admin

Return to Rants & Raves