*!&(#)! SCHOOL!

Think something's terrific? Think something sucks? Rant and rave here. This is a definite "Keep it civil" area, folks. We will be enforcing common courtesy.

Postby Helios » Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:38 pm

Word of advice to anyone applying for College...

NEVER let your school help out in an way, shape, or form!

2 weeks ago, I applied to the University of Michigan (Dearborn Campus) and like most colleges, they need a transcript of your High School grades, mainly your Sophomore and Junior years, cause U of M doesn't look at Freshman grades.

My school says "We'll send your transcript in for you!" So I fill out the application, and give them the money, they give me the receipt and say "okay we'll send it in." After that is taken care of, I send in the application.

Earlier this year I went to the campus open house and made a good impression on the guy in charge of admissions. Hell he said they'd take me right there, but I was only a Junior at the time.

On Monday a rep came, he was one of the guys that actually looked at the applications. Made a nice impression there as well. He even sent me a note telling me they got the application and wished me luck.

Oh and the guy in charge? Well he had an article in the paper two weeks ago, and I sent him an email saying I saw it, it was a good article, and I sent in my app. He even wrote back saying "we have a saying: Get ON line, not IN line."

IMO the wording of those messages kind of came off to me as saying "You're in."

Today I get a letter, I'm nearly having a heart attack, because now the biggest dream of my life is either going to come true or be shattered.

Instead, it's a letter saying they didn't get my transcript yet.

My response was understandably "WHAT?!!!"

I leave ONE part of this process to the crack squad of savvy, qualified, and motivated personnel at my school, and now I'm here ranting instead of telling you all I got accepted.

But in a way this could help: Now I've been offered to personally deliver my transcript, and it might be possible to get accepted on site. Some might say that is overkill, but I don't know what overkill means X>

But I am not happy at my school. Of course in their defense, the contract for the workers there expired in early October, but that doesn't mean the students have to suffer!

I mean if they honestly said "We're not sending these transcripts out to spite the board" then they are a bunch of fucking idiots. I hope to god that isn't the case, cause if it is, they're gonna be in so much shit, THEIR GRANDCHILDREN WON'T BE ABLE TO SEE THE LIGHT OF DAY!

So yes let this be a lesson to all of us: if your school's staff is whining because of contract issues, DO NOT LET THEM DO ANYTHING FOR YOU REGARDING COLLEGE APPS.

Done.
I do not pray for an easy life. I pray to be a stronger bird.
Helios

Postby Fenriswulfdemon » Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:39 am

The same thing happened to my friend applying at the same college. Our school screwed him over, sending his transcripts 3 weeks late, and miscalculating his gpa. It took months to sort out.
Fenriswulfdemon

Postby Kellervo » Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:07 pm

I had a similar problem with one of my post-secondary choices. In the end, I had to go drop off two transcripts in person (one of which involved eight hours on the road in a single day) because I couldn't trust the high school guidance office to send them to the right addresses.

It worked out alright for me though. Took much longer, as I didn't get my acceptance until after my final exams, and spent all of the time up until then worried I'd be like the 70-80% of my grad class that didn't even get into college. I got it on the morning of grad though, which was probably the best present I got. D:
I'm a shaaark
I'm a shaaark!
You know what to do. :v
Kellervo

Return to Rants & Raves