Spawn Camping/Stacking/Force Auto-Balance

Think something's terrific? Think something sucks? Rant and rave here. This is a definite "Keep it civil" area, folks. We will be enforcing common courtesy.

Postby Jinx » Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:43 pm

Saying that the admins would next encourage / let people get away with actual hacks is a huge jump in reasoning, this will simply never happen. There were a couple of factors that I feel resulted in the spawn camping to begin with:

1) Team organization. Red was highly organized in not only fighting off the first wave of blue, but also keeping health and ammo levels high in order to maintain a presence at blue's spawn. After the first wave the majority of blue players came out one by one which, not surprisingly, had little effect. Near the end of the match it seemed as if the 3rd uber with the heavy in combination with a spy rushing out seemed to cause red to scatter and as far as I could tell seemed like red wouldn't have been able to hold that location for much longer if there was any time left.

2) Low levels of faggotry. I do not believe red did any of the things mentioned from Witchie's server rules post. As far as I could tell Doom only used stickies on players that were in the process of leaving spawn, red didn't have any spies, red didn't have a sentry setup in that first area, and red only had one medic with a kritzkreig which if I recall correctly was only used two maybe three times (once at the beginning which wiped out most of blue, and then wasted later on an engie who hit maybe one person if anybody).

3) Poor map design. That first area is large enough / built for red to stage a presence in that area. It is much more difficult for red to hold the next chokepoint because of the small walkways / lower areas and the fact that the flanking path to the rear would be open--holding that area is actually red's best bet at keeping blue from capturing point one. Most of Valve's maps have restricted / smaller areas directly around spawn on attack/defend maps which prevent a large / staying red presence.

As for breaking the server rules, perhaps they should be further clarified? It's clear that not all the admins feel the same way about the various degrees of spawn camping, and it can be difficult to actually quantify the levels of spawn camping as sometimes you need to be at that location (passing by in CTF_Turbine, making a pass to destroy engie teleporters, etc). Personally I feel red's role is to contain blue on attack/defend maps, whatever location on the map that may be... with the same being true in reverse: blue trying to contain red further ahead (possibly at spawn?) to prevent reinforcements from reaching the objective. Sure I would be pissed off if I die the instant I leave spawn, but would it be any different if I walked to the first chokepoint and died the same way? If this is ruining the fun then perhaps we should all get better at shrugging off losing or if by result of stacking then using scramble more often.
Jinx

Postby Mortician175 » Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:44 pm

honestly, i think spawn camping is spawn camping. if your entire team is sitting outside of where your enemy starts off it is therefore spawn camping. the consistency of it however can determine how sever it is, if you kill one or two people with it, im okay but if your whole team is sitting outside waiting for your team that is made of pub faggotry and fail, not to mention all talk being on? yea that can make organization and tactics a bit hard because A. The other team can hear what you want to do and gives the opposing team the info they need to counter or flee. B. people will talk over others and completely blare out orders being dished out, it has happened so don't say no it doesn't. Otherwise, well i heavily oppose spawn camping of any kind but i can deal with light amounts of it. Cause lets face it, if we all got spawn camped as bad as Rum did here, wed all be rageing just as badly if not a little more mildly than this, specially for those amongst the furry pound who have huge e-peens on TF2, you know who you are x3. But all in all i can understand where Rum is comming from and that Admins would condone such behavior let alone doing it themselves.... well... thats really... really bad. But eh, im probably gonna get flamed or something along the lines of OMG SRSZ BUZNESS *see ailures post*
Mortician175

Postby Fernin » Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:36 am

1a. Doom stickies spawns (And other demo men but it's usually Doom I see doing it)

2a.Engies build senty's who's line of sight encompasses spawn door (often more than one sentry too)

3a.Spies camp spawn doors.

4a. All talk. It's great with friends but...
----------------------
1b. Stickies are hard to spot on the corners of most spawn points and their blast radius encompasses a very large area making it easy to "Put them a long ways" from the door and still instantly kill anyone who comes out. Demofaggotry at its finest.

2b. One might at first think that using an uber would make it very easy to get to a sentry that's camping a spawn. Wrong; the knockback from a sentry will push the spawners right back into the spawn and with an engie on the sentry it becomes impossible to destroy them because you can never get sustained fire on them before you're pushed back in and the door closes thus blocking your line of sight.

3b. Killing spys is easy, sure, particularly if you know where they are. however if you have one camping your spawn and you come out firing to one side of the other you still have an at least %50 of being back stabbed as the spy may be to either side of the door, and that is lame.

4.All talk with pubfags sucks for a simple reason. Well all know what each other is going to do and where we likely and how we like to do things which allows us to work together even when alltalk is on. However pubfags are unknowns, making it necessary to communicate and coordinate with them (the few that are even open to teamwork) which becomes impossible with alltalk on because the other team can hear and whoever you're talking will likely be unable to hear over the rampant banter of both teams.
----------------------------

I put on my robe and wizard hat, "Any questions?"
The claims medic gives no anesthetic! 90-days delinquent get you Repo treatment! I’m the mask horror on your street corner, gonna make your momma mourn you, I’m the Night Surgeon!
Fernin

Previous

Return to Rants & Raves