Linux rant, hooray :V

Think something's terrific? Think something sucks? Rant and rave here. This is a definite "Keep it civil" area, folks. We will be enforcing common courtesy.

Postby ShaunMiner » Mon May 17, 2010 4:23 am

This is something thats been bugging me ever since I took up Linux a year or two ago, if I -ever- have a problem and I post about it on <insert Linux Forum> or ask a Linux friend, it usually ends up like this...

Me: Uh hey anyone else here got Ubuntu to boot disklessly via PXE? Im stuck trying to get its DHCP working
Guy 1: Ugh Ubuntu is shit 'Miner, go use Gentoo
Guy 2: Gentoo? Gentoo is shit, use Debian!
Guy 3: They are both shit, use Fedora/CentOS/RHEL
Guy 4: Fuck Linux, use BSD!

Etc, etc, the problem goes from being an OS issue to "My linux can beat up your linux" and this is something I can see thats seriously hampering Linux from being adopted, theres too many fucking distributions that do the same job and too much infighting between fanboys at which is "best"

Thoughts other IT centric furries?
"Shaun is like a million raging Yahtzee's condensed into one person" - Zareth
ShaunMiner

Postby Purplecat » Mon May 17, 2010 11:35 am

It's not just a Linux thing, I see it done with all kinds of software (such as web browsers, yes there are Internet Explorer fanboys out there). People sometimes really like their choice of whatever, and therefore thinks anything else sucks and usually have a fear of being wrong.

I do not think there's too many Linux distros, anyone wanting something mainstream should stick to Ubuntu anyway (which I use and prefer). A quick look amongst distros makes it quite obvious that most of them are either Debian (Ubuntu) or Red hat (Fedora) based. Ubuntu was infact originally started to have a more cutting edge Linux than Debian, but are more known nowadays for the userfriendly aspect. Debian have a "When it's done" release cycle, while Ubuntu is strictly six months.

Other distros are good for people who know what they want, or with specialized uses (rescue disk, for old computers... etc).

Gnome is also the more mainstream desktop environment with KDE falling out of favor, so even the desktop environment shouldn't differ too much. A software company could probably just get away with using GTK, and not bothering with the KDE toolkit (you can still run the GTK programs under the KDE environment), so I don't see this as a problem. Steam Linux client might work directly against the x-server instead of using a toolkit, kinda what they do on Mac and Windows already.

Why anyone would recommend Gentoo is beyond me however. ;)
Purplecat
Site Admin

Return to Rants & Raves