HAL is sleeping

Think something's terrific? Think something sucks? Rant and rave here. This is a definite "Keep it civil" area, folks. We will be enforcing common courtesy.

Postby Helios » Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:41 pm

Yesterday, HAL showed his age, and by HAL I mean my PC.

Yes I named my PC after HAL-9000 from 2001: A Space Odyssey.

When I turned him on, I got a message saying I had no memory, despite the fact that there were 15.5 gigs left on the hard drive. Ignoring this, I tried to play a HL2 mod which crashed due to "Low Memory." I tried playing TF2 a bit, got into the US server, and could only pull off 1 headshot before I crashed due to "memory." (It wasn't a total loss, the person I killed was Nikky :P)

I looked and saw that for some reason there was no paging file for virtual memory on the disk. I tried to set one but it said it was corrupt and made me run chkdsk. I tried that, but chkdsk couldn't check the disk cause it didn't have access for some reason. System restore didn't work cause it said there were corrupted files and wanted me to run chkdsk, but chkdsk couldn't run. I ran it out of safe-mode in read-only format and found that I did indeed have corrupt files, and it wanted me to run it on restart to fix them, BUT IT STILL COULDN'T RUN!

This morning, HAL sang. Chkdsk said the file type on the drive was RAW, which means the drive is about shot. HAL worked for 10 mins before giving me the BSOD. And so with no other options, I turned him off.

For those following the 2001 allusions, HAL is now in about the state he was in at the end of 2001. I'm gonna ask my Dad to help me format the drive, unless we can boot onto the backup partition that my Dad installed before we put in Vista in case HAL went belly-up right then and there. I'll probably go into safe mode to transfer files to my external HD, but half of me is saying "screw it, just format now."

I'm honestly kinda sad and angry about all this, I mean I know it's not the end of the world persay, but I was hoping to catch you all on TF2 a bit before I had to go back to school, and it looks like that won't happen now, and that makes the sniperburd sad.

I'm not dropping off the face of the Earth either. I'm using my laptop now, which can keep in contact, but it can't play games. It can BARLEY run Second Life, and it can't even run Half Life 1, so I'm not gonna try it with TF2.

So yeah, HAL is sleeping now, and I gotta wait for my Dad to wake him up again. My Dad is somethin of a procrastinator (it runs in the family) so it could be later today, or next Tuesday, or hell even like a month from now. He also assumes I don't know jack shit about PC's. In his defense he's been working with them since they were first made, and he's made his own PC out of spare parts once, but still, I'm not totally an idiot.

So yes, HAL is sleeping, and I will be out of action while he rests, but I shall return someday, hopefully someday soon.

"Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer do...
I'm half crazy, all for the love of you...
It won't be a stylish marriage...
I can't afford a carriage...
But you'd look sweet,upon the seat...
Of a bicycle built for two..."
I do not pray for an easy life. I pray to be a stronger bird.
Helios

Postby Purplecat » Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:06 pm

You know, a indirect cause of file corruption would be the harddrive failing.

So don't be surprised if the format would only help temponarily, and then break the filesystem again. If it helps at all. :/
Purplecat
Site Admin

Postby Helios » Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:09 pm

I do have suspicions that it could be a mechanical problem rather than an OS issue, but I don't want to shell out money for a hard drive if I don't need to.

HAL is about 2 1/2 years old, and that is middle aged for a PC that is use. PC's never last long around me for some reason XD. I think I get a new PC like every time a new OS comes out for it, so the average life expectancy for a PC that I use is about 2-4 years (thank god I don't use a mac @v@)
I do not pray for an easy life. I pray to be a stronger bird.
Helios

Return to Rants & Raves