[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
The Furry Pound forums • View topic - Spawncamp? Oh please...

Spawncamp? Oh please...

Think something's terrific? Think something sucks? Rant and rave here. This is a definite "Keep it civil" area, folks. We will be enforcing common courtesy.

Postby Sekh765 » Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:21 am

Your friendly local Buffett-Bird spy. ^_^
My spy video!
Sekh765

Postby Lost » Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:05 am

When you steal from one it's plagiarism.
When you steal from many it's research.
Lost

Postby CrashFu » Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:09 am

Yaknow, I wonder why TF2 didn't just address spawn-camping the same way TFC did?

In team fortress classic, a lot of the maps featured a special kind of sentry gun pre-built into the level that would kick on if the enemy lingered a little too long near your spawn. I'm pretty sure that sentry was invincible.. it usually hung on the ceiling.

Heck, I'd put something like that in my own map, but that'd be pointless since I already designed it in such a way that you can very easily flank around anyone waiting outside of one of the base exits..

A'course, sometimes I think the reason Valve doesn't do it is because maybe they love spawn-camping. Just look at 2-fort.. EVERY exit of EVERY spawn leads directly into areas of your base that the enemy has to pass through to head for the intelligence. And then there's koth_nucleus.... ugh.
CrashFu

Postby Purplecat » Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:32 am

"It's everyone but ours fault" syndrome, which plagues TF2.

People rather blame teamstacking/spawncamping/whatever rather than realizing they lost becuse of their team consisting out of six snipers and three spies.
Purplecat
Site Admin

Postby Ayeaka » Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:10 am

Oh lord, the stacking one.

My favorite is when a team spends the entire time complaining of being steamrolled, (particularly when it's the defending team whining,) when no one's bothering to defend the engineers.

So the engineers eventually give up, and at the end, RED's all "OH THAT'S WHY WE LOST. OUR TEAM WAS TOO FUCKING STUPID TO PLAY ENGIE."

When we started with three, and they gave up because the heavier classes wouldn't back them up.

I was in a position today where I wound up being the team's only engineer. The only person to try and defend me when I was building up?
Our team's spy. Our team's spy was the ONLY ONE to try defending me against the enemy team's WAVE OF PYROS.
See something wrong there?

Similarly, I've been in situations where, as spy, I'm the only one willing to help an engie on our team. :/

However, that doesn't change the fact that the servers have a GROWING problem with spawncamping. Also today, we had a spy on cranetop at stage 2 that was hiding on top of BLU's spawn, headshotting people coming out.
RED's response? "Well, if your team's bad enough to be camped by a spy, then you deserve it."

I'm...not sure who handled the situation, but I was later told that it DID get taken care of--I personally quit before that. I was fed-up with everyone trying to scream over each other. (And I'd have muted them, but they weren't micspamming. Just...screaming. They WERE actually being useful....sort of..in reporting things to the team.)
Frau Chimäre~
The doctor will see you now.
Ayeaka

Postby Stormcaller3801 » Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:17 pm

I know that problem. I particularly hate it when they add insult to injury. Specifically those instances where you're trying to get set up, and running for an ammo box only to have someone suddenly jump over and grab it right in front of you. Or watching half your team stand around and not even bother firing while a Demoman rains stickies down on your stuff- only to then notice the Sniper has been scoped in and looking right at the guy but not firing the whole time.
Stormcaller3801

Postby Sekh765 » Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:59 pm

Your friendly local Buffett-Bird spy. ^_^
My spy video!
Sekh765

Postby Stormcaller3801 » Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:03 pm

I have a new one to add. People were complaining about spawncamping in KOTH Nucleus, specifically a Scout. When I pointed out that there were rules against it, and it'll get you banned, the response was, "Nothing ever happens."

So my question was simple: "Have you ever actually bothered to report it?"

Dead silence.

Complaining about how people get away with breaking the rules all the time doesn't do any good if you don't actually tell someone what's going on. In fact, not getting in trouble for it is just going to encourage it.
Stormcaller3801

Postby Ayeaka » Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:15 am

Frau Chimäre~
The doctor will see you now.
Ayeaka

Postby Stormcaller3801 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:27 pm

And another good example today. Played two rounds of Gravel Pit before the batteries in my mouse died.

First round, we're attacking. We roll over B, and then cap A after a brief fight, including issues with a Sentry connecting the two. Then we roll into C and after a brief yet convincing fight, we cap the point.

Second round, no team changes at all. A goes undefended save for myself as Engie and a Scout. We lose B, then A falls not long after thanks to some solid teamwork, like having a Spy disguised as a Sniper chased by a Pyro- I ignore the Sniper, shotgun the Pyro, get backstabbed and shot, then the sapped Sentry gets burned down. We fall back to C, and while we're trying to defend there's just some stupidity going on, like a friendly Engie deciding to try and rush a level two Sentry and Wrench it, without strafing. Or.. the same Engie, actually, ignoring warnings about a Sniper drawing a bead on him and gets shot heading up to Wrench the Scout on the point. Inevitably we lose, simply because we can't get up to the point to defend it in time.

Immediately someone on my team yells "TEAM STACKING!"

And from our own team: "How the heck could they be stacking when we just rolled over them last round?" We ended up having an internal discussion on open chat arguing about how the other team couldn't have been stacking.

Brilliant example of why I don't take every accusation seriously.
Stormcaller3801

PreviousNext

Return to Rants & Raves