Spawncamp? Oh please...

Think something's terrific? Think something sucks? Rant and rave here. This is a definite "Keep it civil" area, folks. We will be enforcing common courtesy.

Postby Stormcaller3801 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:31 pm

Ayeaka, I think I'd probably consider that a waste of time, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Some of my favorite games have been wastes of time.

Come to think of it, I did something like that one of those games. We were doing various rushes, and after the Heavy Rush died to the Sniper Rush, and the Engineer Rush just didn't work (not enough metal), we did the Spycrab Rush. I used the Cloak & Dagger, so by the time I reached the RED spawn, I was glowing shiny blue. I walked back and forth a couple times before I got FaN'd. Several times on the way over I discovered why the cloaked Spycrab is even more rare than the normal kind. I think I got something like four profuse apologies for people bumping into me and then left-clicking without thinking about it.
Stormcaller3801

Postby Ayeaka » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:22 pm

A waste of time, yes, but when one scout gets four enemies to chase him?

That's one scout tying up FOUR enemies at once for a longer period than it would take for them to respawn.
Frau Chimäre~
The doctor will see you now.
Ayeaka

Postby Stormcaller3801 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:30 pm

You got four...

I take it back. That's brilliant on your part. On their part, however...
Stormcaller3801

Postby Ayeaka » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:44 pm

It was amazing.. xD

I had a sniper chasing me with his kukri, another trying to snipe me, an engineer chasing me with his pistol, and a spy freaking out about me for some reason.

I'd nearly die, pop bonk, grab health, rinse, and repeat..

I don't know if they ever figured out it was me, though. But seeing FUCKING SCOUT in chat repeatedly was nice. :D
Frau Chimäre~
Ayeaka

Postby Sekh765 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:52 pm

This has always been a grey area, and I've never seen an offical ruling on it. I usually don't care unless its a FAN scout constantly fanning people back through the spawn door saying he "isn't killing anyone so its ok".

Sorry, if your constantly shooting people as they come out the spawn door before they can react, I'd call it camping even if you arn't actually killing them :\

Your thing though, just running around and making them chase you, thats different :P
Your friendly local Buffett-Bird spy. ^_^
My spy video!
Sekh765

Postby Purplecat » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:29 am

There's actually remaisn of the old spawn sentries.

There's textures of a TF2 style spawnsentry, and there's a full model + texture of one that is from seemingly a older noncartoonic version of TF2.
Purplecat
Site Admin

Postby miniskunk » Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:48 pm

I have about had it with cries of spawncamping especially on KOTH Nucleus. I pledge to never try to reason with someone ever again accusing me of spawncamping when I am only trying to surpress the massive sniper activity that is common to that map. If I chase a player and they run straight to their spawn in order to finish the kill that is not camping. This is the number one circumstance that I get labeled being a camper for. If you run I will chase your kiester down. There is no logic these whiners will listen to to convince them it isn't camping.

Camping means staying in one area for extended periods of time and not leaving. Running past a spawn or killing near a spawn isn't necessarily camping. It really blows my mind how players can not see the difference.

If you want your sniper located by a spawn protected erect a sentry by your spawn. It is amazingly effective especially if the other team is trying to get in close enough to destroy the sentry. Can you say easy backstab opportunity for a spy? If all team members did their part, then camping becomes a non issue and does far more to deter actual camping than ranting about it.
miniskunk

Postby Ayeaka » Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:14 am

Only problem is putting a sentry by your spawn CAUSES camping, especially in Nucleus, as it can shoot a large portion of the map, and means that you're going to have a large portion of the enemy team dedicating themselves to getting rid of it.
Frau Chimäre~
Ayeaka

Postby Purplecat » Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:30 am

When I see a sentry, I focus on destroying it.

So yeah, it is... a honeypot to a certain degree.
Purplecat
Site Admin

Postby Stormcaller3801 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:12 am

On Nucleus especially I assume that if I see someone in front of our spawn once, they're killing someone or going past. This particularly holds true if they're shooting at someone who's running into spawn. If I see you several times, then I'm going to get suspicious. If I come out of spawn and you pop out from around a stack of crates, or you're building a Sentry in our front yard, or I see you when I run into spawn, and you're still there when I come out, with none of my team around? Witchie's getting a demo file.

Which, admittedly, will be probably sent with a title like 'Yet another batch, part VII.' I think I've sent her a dozen in the last three days, one per map.
Stormcaller3801

PreviousNext

Return to Rants & Raves