[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
The Furry Pound forums • View topic - Spawncamp? Oh please...

Spawncamp? Oh please...

Think something's terrific? Think something sucks? Rant and rave here. This is a definite "Keep it civil" area, folks. We will be enforcing common courtesy.

Postby Buffalo Bill » Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:39 pm

Buffalo Bill

Postby Ayeaka » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:56 pm

There's players that organize their own tournaments in groups, and get together to compete with friends, and generally have a good ol' bloodbath.

There's servers that simply do that.

Then there's morons that rape the game to the point it's no longer tf2, chop out half the classes, half the weapons, whine about OMG BALANCE OMG OMGOMG OMGOMG OMGOMGOMG until everyone else wants to sew their lips shut.

The latter are those you usually see prancing about and waving the moniker around.

Though, aside from that, TF2 just doesn't make sense in a comp setting to me..

It really, really doesn't. Other games I can see tourneys for, but TF2... Iunno. Here you've got a game where you throw piss at people, while your characters banter on and make fun of the enemy in various terrible, faked accents...

It just doesn't connect.
And trying to force a game like TF2 into comp constraints just seems so pointless and silly.
Frau Chimäre~
The doctor will see you now.
Ayeaka

Postby Buffalo Bill » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:40 pm

Buffalo Bill

Postby Ayeaka » Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:27 pm

Except that when it comes to their actual suggestions for modding the game to MAKE it more balanced...

all the suggestions do is fuck things over.

They seem entirely less interested in genuinely HELPING the game, and far more interested in suggesting inane retardedness to either FORCE everyone to conform to the defaults in situations where the alternative weapon would have been originally far more useful, or, alternatively, and just as frequently, suggesting NERFS to classes they don't main.

OMG I WANT BALANCE
UNLESS IT MAKES GAME HARDER 4 ME LAWL

There are some comp players I can respect, and some that don't fit this model, but I'm looking at the general public face we've been given; arguably, this is merely the loudest, and most idiotic of your community.

Sorry to tell you, but THEY speak the loudest. They're additionally some of the SOREST losers I've ever met, and you know, if I dominate a comp player, EVER then HOMG OBVIOUSLY I'M HACKING.
Whereas if I accuse one of breaking server rules
OMG I R NOT HACK I R COMP AND BETTER DAN J00
Whether they think they're better or NOT, they're still breaking a server rule by what they're doing, which is the only thing I ever accused.
Frau Chimäre~
The doctor will see you now.
Ayeaka

Postby Buffalo Bill » Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:17 pm

Buffalo Bill

Postby Purplecat » Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:52 pm

All I remember hearing was that competition banned Sandman, and that was for it's game-changing effect (it broke ubercharges). That might been changed now.
Purplecat
Site Admin

Postby Buffalo Bill » Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:26 pm

Buffalo Bill

Postby Jinx » Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:52 pm

I know they played around with the old sandman before banning it, but how much have they played with its new incarnation? I don't see how it removes skill since the player who takes the sandman is going to be taking a huge gamble in making the scout a glass cannon (even more than he is now): have the possibility of being able to stop/reverse a push without an uber but risk a very easy death (a large blow to your team's offensive capabilities) since the scout can be one-shotted by every class except the medic. But I digress, wasn't this topic about people crying wolf over spawncamping?
Jinx

Postby Stormcaller3801 » Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:26 pm

Think so, yes. Mentally I'm still juggling the matter of those maps where you exit spawn through a given door, and you've got a single path you can take. If someone sits at the far end of that path and waits for people to come out, does that count as spawncamping? You could potentially turn around and go back in spawn and come out elsewhere, but at least some of the time those other routes cause a significant delay because you now have extra travel time getting to your original destination. Anyone who's played maps where one team or the other has a long run to the front lines and no Engies will understand the effect that can have on your ability to keep momentum going or maintain a defense.

It's definitely a case by case basis thing, and it's largely dependent upon the design of the map.
Stormcaller3801

Postby Sekh765 » Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:55 pm

Your friendly local Buffett-Bird spy. ^_^
My spy video!
Sekh765

PreviousNext

Return to Rants & Raves