[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
The Furry Pound forums • View topic - A Doomed Matter

A Doomed Matter

Think something's terrific? Think something sucks? Rant and rave here. This is a definite "Keep it civil" area, folks. We will be enforcing common courtesy.

Postby Echoen » Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:14 am

This belongs here in Rant/Rave because that's all it is. Ranting and raving.

Doom. Awesome guy. Cool friend. Doesn't aimbot and plays with the team.

But consistantly, CONSISTANTLY, is getting two or three TIMES more points than /anyone/ else on the team! Map after map after map after map, Doom at the top, Doom at the top, doom at the top. Demoman Doom Isn't Credit To Team.... Demoman Doom IS TEAM.

Bah. See, it's not that Doom has good allies. Or has a dedicated medic on him at all times. Or that we just suck - we are all roughly of the same skill level with areas of expertise that make us a functional team. And there's a lot of us, too. But while each of us are aluminum balls on the scales. Doom is a lodestone. Whatever team he is on has a 90% win rate - the only exception is when there are few to no other skilled players on his team. He's not the be-all-end-all, but he IS the "Great Weight" and often double the points of anyone on his own team.

If that were it alone, I might not be ranting at all, and merely frustrated that I cannot even BEGIN to emulate that level of ownage - usually only ten or twelve points ahead of anyone else when I play Demoman. Never FIFTY. But it's how Doom constantly claims it's luck, luck, luck, and more luck. That he just spams sticky grenades and gets kills. It makes me feel like a sack of shit, like I'm a dumbass who can't play worth crap. Sometimes I spectate and just watch Doom - he gets burned, shot, clubbed, whacked, peforated and bludgeouned around WAY more than I see even Heavies take, yet he doesn't go down at half the speed as Heavies do. I'm talking /without/ a medic, either. And I've even sat on his ass as a Pyro and torched him for longer than I've timed it takes to torch Heavies - and it seems to just be a single sticky grenade that kills me.

I dont think Doom is hacking in any way. But this level of skill, this level of ownage, can sometimes be too much to constantly witness. Whether I'm on his team or not on his team, it decreses my level of fun, and adds salt since he's like "Huh? I killed him?". Grrf.

Ranting.
Echoen

Postby Kellervo » Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:57 am

I honestly totally have to agree. Doom is pretty damn good, and on top of it a pretty damn good guy, but he just kicks all of our asses, at least in straight-up fights (I will never be able to swing my axe like he cracks his bottle over my skull). The only time I ever saw such ownage was when I went to a LAN tournament as the only person to have played TF2 before (and ended up with 139 points as a Spy, 100 clear of second place).

I don't really have so much an issue with Doom as I do with the teams. At first it was pretty much agiven if I wasn't on Doom's team, I'd get killed by him, and him only, and maybe by one or two others every now and then. When I began it had been the same story with me and Nikky. Shi'd kill me a ton, and I'd just deal with it. It was just how the dice rolled. I would however manage to kill Doom every now and then because of luck or random strokes of flamethrower mastery. Granted this was back on Cc2 when people were more worried about Giant Enemy Crab and his spawn-camp-happy ways, or being banned by Sake for crouching and walking at the same time.

Here, every time Doom gets on a team at the start of a new map, the first minute, two minutes of the game is 3v2 while 15 spectators sit patiently waiting for someone to go join the unlucky team that has to face Doom. Then there's a gigantic rush to join Doom's team before it fills up, and inevitably by the time the teams are full, whoever's not on Doom's team is not only facing Doom, but a good portion of the server's top players as well, and usually only with a handful of regs and a bunch of newcomers who don't have a grasp on how insane Doom is when he's got a medic on him 24/7 and some very damn good heavies/engies/pyros/scouts backing him up. I realize I had a habit of being one of those said back-up pyros of late, but have been trying to avert it and let auto-join decide my fate. It typically ends up in me dying a ton and hearing "Hello Keller!" afterwards as I try to figure out where Doom planted those !@%!ing stickies, or how I couldn't deflect the pipebomb at the right time or angle. I can live with that. Doom's a good sport and a good guy, so I can't be mad at him for very long even when he gets those Hand of God moments that seem to plague Endeavour.

But dying once and watching as my team gets steamrolled by an obviously superior -team- and lose two points in Dustbowl or two captures in 2fort or turbine is not quite as fun. Even Doom can't do that by himself. He plays a big part, but even he can get killed or utterly annihilated with a concerted effort.

Just my own related rant I suppose.
I'm a shaaark
I'm a shaaark!
You know what to do. :v
Kellervo

Postby Witchiebunny » Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:53 am

You guys are absolutely right that Doom's team will fill up in a second. No one likes facing him. I especially hate it. I

I consider Doom a good friend, and I like playing with him, up until I actually have to play *against* him. Some days I can take it well enough and know that in another map maybe we'll end up on the same team. Some days it's easy to remind myself that when he's steamrolling others, he does genuinely feel bad, 'cause he knows it's luck.

And there are other days (like yesterday) that I just *can't* take it, at all. Those are the days when I get killed by Doom so often that I either 1. begin raging like a mofo' (and DOPR can tell ya'll just how much I do rage, you guys don't even hear it past a certain point), 2. ragequit (an option I've been told not to do, but I'd rather ragequit than get so frustrated with the game and with Doom's luck that I turn my monitor into a mess of plastic and glass) or 3. suck it up until I can join Doom's team.

And I'll admit, when you've been losing and losing, the temptation to wait until you can join Doom's team is especially strong, because you want to have fun in a situation where you're damn near assured a win and in TF2, playing with Doom is about as assured as you get on this server.

And I know...usually *I'm* that medic that's on his ass 24/7. It's because *we want to win* and my apologies to whomever may be on the other team, but if I know that Doom is about to attempt something incredibly insane, I know he'll probably need a health boost just before or a medic when its all over. Trust me...we do feel bad. But feeling bad doesn't negate that we want to have fun too, and the best way to have fun is by winning. After losing three or four maps in a row to Doom, sorry, but I feel entitled to my fun at that point too. Is it selfish? Yes.

All this to say that I understand how ya'll feel. Honestly I do. I feel the same when I'm facing Doom (or god forbid, Doom and Nikky on the same team.) Is there anything that can be done abotu it? Not really, people are usually pretty quick to figure out who the good players are and since they want to win, they'll join their team. I'm human too and am no exception to that rule. I'll switch when I can to even out numbers (and ya'll have seen me do this before) but I like to win. Simple as that.
Witchiebunny

Postby Arcalane » Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:23 am

Arcalane
Huzzah!

Postby Ferto12 » Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:11 pm

I have to point out that Doom has about 260 hours as demoman. If he ISN'T a damn good demoman by now, then I fear he's wasted 260 hours of his time.

That being said, I enjoy being a medic, usually on Doom's team (we're all guilty of it), and usually focus on him to heal. I don't focus JUST on him, the welfare of the team as a whole is more important to me than if he dies. The problem is, even if I'm not healing him, HE NEVER BLOODY DIES. It's like bullets just phase around him, and grenades bounce exactly away (usually towards me if they're crits). I can usually leave him alone for about half a minute under concentrated and well orchestrated enemy fire, and he takes oh maybe about 50-75 damage? Whereas I'm constantly running around trying to avoid anything that will shrink my pitifully small 125 health.

Solutions? Doom can't be demoman. Ever. Don't let him be a sniper, if he gets good at that then it'll be even worse. Soldier, still bad.

Henceforth I propose that Doom can only be of the following classes:
Medic
Engineer
Pyro
Heavy
MAYBE Spy (though he used to be a damned good one)
MAYBE Scout (though he can aim pretty damn well)
Ferto12

Postby Jake Monroe » Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:32 pm

The Only time I ever hated being on the Opposite team from Doom was when He played on CC2, and not for his skill. It was annoying as hell listening to my team complain about how good he is.
SiRK: There's [SFW], [NSFW] and [STRAY]
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
Jake Monroe

Postby Mortician175 » Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:37 pm

I get frustrated because i want to enjoy my game. The thing that pisses me off the most with doom is that he claims its all luck. i know im probably gonna get yelled at this, but im sorry there is very little if no luck with the sticky grenade launcher.(crits dont count because their based on the luck system) Pipebombs, hell yes, the whole point of that gun is a little bit of luck mixed with skill. Sticky launcher is essentially just arc your gun, throw some power in and shoot, or if you get close to them theyll just spam the shit outta the thing and detonate em under your feet, its okay the demo some how survives the splash from his own bombs but you wont!.

Which brings me to my point 90% of dooms alleged "luck" is from stickie kills, ive seen him use the pipebomb launcher every now and then, but its always the stickies or he gets a really lucky crit from his bottle.

I like to play on his team cause hes a friend and i do like to win, to contrast that statement i also like to fight him cause when i stomp his ass i get immense satisfaction that i killed the sunnuva bitch. However, i do think we should practice scrambling teams more, cause everyone has more fun when both teams put up a good fight rather than one team being made up of the 1337 crew of the server and stomping the other teams ass, Doom is skilled, not lucky, skilled big difference. But his skill comes with the fact that his team needs to work with him to win, so i say, we scramble the teams all to hell next time were all on, and see how he does :P

rants ftw.
Mortician175

Postby Witchiebunny » Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:12 pm

Breaking in to remind EVERYONE that this is not to turn into a "Let's Bash Doom" parade.
Witchiebunny

Postby Arcalane » Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:26 pm

FYI you are only making his ego bigger. :lol:
Arcalane
Huzzah!

Postby Fenriswulfdemon » Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:48 pm

I love facing Doom, he's the only player I can say I'm afriad of. Yeah just about everyone is better than me, but I don't feel anything from charging straight in and getting my ass kicked. But if I see Doom out there, I'll look for another route, or hang back a bit. I actual never played on the FOR server until Doom invited me into the Furry Pound group, I only friended him on some map because of how badly he was dominating me. No matter how close I would get, he would either catch me(I went spy to try to get revenge), or someone else would kill me RIGHT as I was about to attack, sending me in a humiliating tumble right at Doom's feet. I only get better at games playing against people way out of my league, and Doom's challenge has made me much better at TF2. Doesn't really show in the FOR server, don't think I compare to anyone here, but in other places I play, I have no trouble making it to the top charts, even against people I couldn't face before. Everyone gets mad when they can't win sometimes, especially after getting blown to bits by Doom every respawn, but it's just a game, and the whole point of the game is for the challenge. The only complaint against Doom I have, one that's not his fault, is when the teams get stacked; the best players joining his side to win. Good strategy, but it's more fun when the maps last longer than 5 minutes.
Fenriswulfdemon

Next

Return to Rants & Raves