[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
The Furry Pound forums • View topic - A Doomed Matter

A Doomed Matter

Think something's terrific? Think something sucks? Rant and rave here. This is a definite "Keep it civil" area, folks. We will be enforcing common courtesy.

Postby Ferto12 » Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:03 pm

Ferto12

Postby Cpt. Nuke » Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:10 am

Doom is basically one of the, if not the best friend I have on steam.

He's told me that basically he just has phenomenal amounts of luck. I'm sure you all have heard of Omfgninja, right? The "super spy"? Doom wound up on the same team as him, both were spies. Whereas Ninja was promptly gangraped by a mob of three insane pyros and a scout, Doom managed to revolver themall without getting killed.

The most backstabs I've ever gotten as a spy is 18...Doom's gotten 32. He's the best Demoman on the server, whereas I'm fairly mediocre. I have VERY rarely managed to kill him as a demo, occaisonally I backstab him, but he's been playing TF2 since beta.

With this amount of time,knowledge,experience, and stupefying amounts of luck, Doom is possibly the most feared person on the server. It's not like we should stop him from being good though. Let him be an annoyingly good demo. Just play a counter-class. Scout, sniper, pyro, those all work. Kinda like how if you're getting dominated by a heavy you go spy. Something. I really don't think this is much of an issue, though.
Cpt. Nuke

Postby Purplecat » Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:30 am

While I think the Demoman is overpowered (Sticky launcer being too flexible, aka lol winbombs), I really don't get pissed off at Doom for more than ten seconds.

Hard to hate someone who even said he would sex you if gay.

And most of the time he's spreeing, I do notice it's because of the other team being badly organized in first place.
Purplecat
Site Admin

Postby NikkyVix » Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:08 pm

I wonder what posts will come here if I invite in Premonition/Giant Enemy Crab...
NikkyVix
Site Admin

Postby Witchiebunny » Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:30 pm

Nikky:

D: D: D: D: D:
Witchiebunny

Postby RedEye[TKC] » Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:16 pm

I've never really had any problems with Doom, he's a bloody excellent player. One of the most challenging people I can go against. I prefer to fight against Doom on as many occasions as possible. Though it is rare when we meet, he's usually in the in the front lines blowing things up to kingdom come, and I'm in the back choosing a target. Plus he's got a great attitude about the game, it's just a game. I haven't heard him be egocentric one bit, even as he blows up four people in a single barrage of sticky grenades. So I say keep it up mate, keep hurling those explosives and never quit.
RedEye[TKC]

Postby nobuyuki » Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:09 pm

doom isn't a problem at all. Like most problems I see on furry servers, the problem occurs when one particularly good server regular joins, the sycophants and stackers (who I won't name, but only mention to acknowledge they exist) go and ruin the first round and initial setup of the game by waiting around to join one team, and then refusing to move when it's obvious half the players aren't having fun anymore. Ideally, no reasonable player should ever feel like they have to leave because it's impossible to derive enjoyment out of situations like these.

This is also why when I was more regular on your guys' server that I requested the admin mod have a scramble option (and if it already does, that people actually use it, which they never did). Perhaps certain admins who know that sycophants tend to wait until that admin chooses a team for the followers to join it could just make a habit of randomly scrambling teams whenever they're around.

It's totally not Doom's fault for being good at the game, but does anyone have any better suggestions?

Edit: As a rule, I usually join BLU and don't even bother checking to see who's on it, just cause it's my favorite color. I found out from some stat somewhere that BLU tends to statistically lose more often than RED in most online FPS games for whatever reason. Before TF2 started showing who selects random and who explicitly selects a team, I already kept track of which teams most of you guys joined most of the time and have found that usually people have a team preference. For sure, if any of you realize that you're always fighting one regular and never fighting another, you may want to consider either setting an example and picking random, or barring that (maybe you just are too comfortable shooting RED or BLU guys, or attacking/defending first, who knows!), forcing scramble on certain maps for the first round, or like I said, making it a habit to scramble after steamrollers...
nobuyuki

Postby Arcalane » Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:38 pm

The problem with scramble is that it's sometimes rather counterproductive (one or two non-important players get shuffled around and the game continues as it was... shuffle should be based on scores, if you ask me - try to even things out that way) and the teams tend to generally realign themselves as they were before.

I am, however, thinking that the scramble cap for Arena should be reduced to 3, but that's another topic of discussion entirely.
Arcalane
Huzzah!

Postby nobuyuki » Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:04 pm

the scramble algorithm doesn't approach 50% of players on each team? One reason to use scramble also is so that somebody doesn't have to explicitly ask a person to leave a certain team. To be explicitly made aware of one's reputation could cause some awkward moments on the server

edit: How disruptive would forced random be?

edit2: Yeah, the scramble cap should be lowered on Arena just because a lot of the players are so good that maps could last forever before reaching to 5 wins in a row. Best 5/9 could also work though, if that's even possible.. or 4 wins in a row xD
nobuyuki

Postby Arcalane » Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:16 am

I think an arena map goes for roughly a dozen rounds (that's a rough estimate, mind, I have no idea how End has it set up currently) before a mapswitch. The win count is just until the teams are scrambled, not until the map switches. ;)
Arcalane
Huzzah!

Previous

Return to Rants & Raves