I Hate My Work ISP

Think something's terrific? Think something sucks? Rant and rave here. This is a definite "Keep it civil" area, folks. We will be enforcing common courtesy.

Postby Stormcaller3801 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:27 pm

Do you know why I hate my work ISP? Because it's mocking me.

Every morning I can come in here and go to TF2Maps.net without a problem. I can look at new posts, check out messages, load images I've never seen before, all without trouble. And then, inevitably, it stops. It's as if it never existed. Cannot find the URL. There's no reason for it at all. I can go to downforeveryoneorjustme.com and type in tf2maps.net and hey, there it is. It's up. It's running fine. I can take lunch, drive home, and type in the URL there. There it is, no issues whatsoever. But my ISP insists it does not exist, and will continue to insist this fact, right up until mid-afternoon. Then just as spontaneously as it disappears, it's back up without any evidence it was gone.

The most maddening part? Every time, it does this just as I get it in my head to write a post. I don't actually click anything on the site or anything like that- I just decide I want to post something. Then I'll click the link for the appropriate subforum and boom. Disappears.
Stormcaller3801

Postby DrJones » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:02 pm

Try changing the DNS servers your router/computer uses to OpenDNS's DNS servers, see if that helps.
-Jonesy
Steam: DrJones
Live: Bloobunni
FA and LJ: jonesybunny
DrJones

Postby Stormcaller3801 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:11 pm

I shall have to try that.
Stormcaller3801

Postby JimmyChopblock » Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:19 am

my work isp is semi similar. On breaks or whatever I might try to post a comment on a site and sometimes it will go through and other times it wont - although it seems to depend largely on the site (Joblo.com rarely works, Fark.com almost always works, etc).

I find that sometimes using a proxy site helps, but not always (like www.hidemyass.com)
JimmyChopblock

Postby Purplecat » Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:52 am

A VPN service might be useful too, I know that one of my friends uses a VPN to pretty much do anything possible with the web on places that otherwise just limits it to HTTP (port 80).

If it's not the DNS fucking up at work, it's possible they're using some kind of proxy solution.

(Another advantage with VPN, it's impossible for your boss to snoop at your network traffic and see what you're doing)
Purplecat
Site Admin

Postby Stormcaller3801 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:26 pm

Given that I am the IT department, I'm not too worried about that. ;)
Stormcaller3801

Postby JimmyChopblock » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:30 pm

ah lucky you. I've been trying to get them to transfer me into the IT department where I work for like 2 years now, being as it appears that the height of anyone in our IT departments' expertise consists soley of "Saw the movie War Games".
JimmyChopblock

Postby Amethyst_Lynx » Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:50 am

Could be the company you're working for is intentionally blocking stuff between specific times. Worked at one company where we had the firewall configured to block a number of sites between 8am-6pm. The owner didn't care what people did off the clock, but wanted to make sure anyone on the system during working hours could only access approved sited.
Amethyst_Lynx

Return to Rants & Raves