"I Quit!!"

Think something's terrific? Think something sucks? Rant and rave here. This is a definite "Keep it civil" area, folks. We will be enforcing common courtesy.

Postby NikkyVix » Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:56 pm

I think it's a safe bet to acknowledge, before arguments escalate beyond the thread's original intent, that there was more than "just being upset over someone drawing dragon peen" at work here. I'm reminded of something that Pathia once discussed with me on the theory of people:

We all live in a bubble of our making; of our opinions and perceptions of how the world and its objects should work. Because we cannot be in other peoples' bubbles and see things completely the way they do, we instead attribute the laws and expectations of our bubbles to them. Doesn't always mean they're wrong when they do something patently against our expectations of what they should do..

But we should remember that we are not in everyone else's perception of reality, or in possession of everyone's past, concerns, nature, medical history, etc., before we pass judgment on them (a judgment that, often, none of us are qualified to make).
NikkyVix
Site Admin

Postby Helios » Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:23 pm

To paraphrase The Mystery of Edwin Drood: "Nature seldom ever fails to most obligingly provide an undisclosed opposing side to one's dismay."

What does this mean? It means that if this world was ran solely on predjudices and first impressions, this would be a very different world. Furries would indeed be persecuted, folks like Niko and Witchie would not be allowed within 50 feet of a PC, and so on and so forth. People don't often make the honest effort to see the other side of an argument, because it can be difficult to see things from another angle, and sadly the Point-of-view gun hasn't been invented yet, at least not to my knowledge. This is the reason why that I, being a hardline Republican, tend to read liberal or leftist publications, like Rolling Stone. This is so I can get an idea what the other side is thinking (which from what I've seen, is rare) and try to understand the basis for their arguments, as inane as they can be, as is the case with most political parties, even my own.

One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter. What may seem important to me, like the Space Shuttle launch tomorrow evening, may not be as significant to you. But just because something isn't relevant to your interedts dosen't mean it's universally insignificant.
I do not pray for an easy life. I pray to be a stronger bird.
Helios

Previous

Return to Rants & Raves