[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
The Furry Pound forums • View topic - "I Quit!!"

"I Quit!!"

Think something's terrific? Think something sucks? Rant and rave here. This is a definite "Keep it civil" area, folks. We will be enforcing common courtesy.

Postby Witchiebunny » Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:19 am

http://www.furaffinity.net/journal/820801/ (gallery is NSFW)

Now, I know Narse. I've been over his place, I've eaten with him, hung out with him, hell I saw him just this past weekend at Anthrocon.

And this is RIDICULOUS. Narse is one of the best goddamn artist in the entire fucking fandom. There is no reason for him to be throwing a shitfit because another artist has a similar style.

Just....KERLJK:EL:KJ:LJKFDJLK:FSDKJL:FDSKJL:FDSJLK:DFljk;dfslj;kfsdajl;kfsdaasfd

If I tried this shit, I'd be called out for drama whoring, and those people would be RIGHT.

Just...GAH!!
Witchiebunny

Postby JimmyChopblock » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:46 pm

he'll come back when he realizes no one gives a shit. By responding to his temper tantrum you only encourage him.
JimmyChopblock

Postby Kumagoro » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:51 pm

I don't really know him personally, but what he did here was... wrong
He's just upset because Tojo was more popular or what?

No offence to Tojo, but her art is... weaker than Narse's.

Bleh, give him some time to calm down, people do weird shit when they're angry
Kumagoro

Postby Nocturnefoxx » Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:49 pm

I thought that "I Quit" was universally understood to be furry for "LOOK AT ME!"

Or, alternatively, it's pro wrasslin' for "THE ROCK JUST WHUPPED MY ASS".
...but you can call me Emerson.
Nocturnefoxx

Postby Purplecat » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:04 pm

If someone have similar art style to mine (If I were an artist), I would try to assume that:
1. They had same or similar inspiration to my own art style.
2. They were inspired by my art.

And honestly, hearing people trying to claim the lone right to certain art styles just disgusts me. It really just enforces the stereotype of furries being intellectual property trolls. ._. (I understand people being afraid of someone claiming their art as their own, art fraud isn't fun. But I still find myself bugged by the paranoia some have...)
Purplecat
Site Admin

Postby JimmyChopblock » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:21 pm

*just remembers the whole Penny Arcade VS Movie Comics fiasco and shakes head*
JimmyChopblock

Postby NikkyVix » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:55 pm

Narse seems to have nuked whatever journal you linked to, Witchie (one of the reasons I think I'm going to just start quoting linked journals due to peoples' tendency to erase damning words they later regret). But i I read the symptoms of the issue, I think I can get the gist.

A lot of us, as artisans, are our own worst critics. We create things that the non-artist views, thinks looks (hopefully) awesome, but which we privately hold nitpicks and concerns about. It takes a certain amount of effort to grow with our talent until we like what we're doing ourselves, but that's just one piece of why artists get so protective of their particular style and something non-artists don't immediately understand. There is also the ego issue that many others see when a fame-basking artist gets a lot of praise and taint-tickling from people. We end up believing we're the only ones who should be allowed to draw as we do.

I watched Ferris's explosion in 2004 when Ice began gaining popularity using Ferris's style..this is somewhat similar because like then, Ferris declared he was leaving the art scene, and Ice, like Tojo, was another fur who idolized a particular style enough to want to emulate it. It's the reaction of an artist who sees their art being emulated and used in a way they aren't in control of, and it may register as a feeling of violation or theft. There are some of you who'd roll your eyes at this..but until you spend years developing an art style from trial and error, finding from inside what works with you and learning to draw a way you like, and using it for uncounted hours to create art pieces that you called your own, then you really don't have that thick a platform to shoot from.

Now don't get me wrong; the whole declaration of quitting from Narse is, like Ferris before him, a knee-jerk explosion which is definitely an overreaction to the situation, and only going to have him painted as a whiner by his detractors, and Tojo attacked by his supporters. I'm not disputing that. But my point is that I can understand how Narse and Ferris would react this way. And like Ferris, Narse will likely be back either in a commercial fashion or will dwindle behind the scenes and do the occasional art piece for friends while leaving his website's 'Coming Soon' page up for the next four years. c.c
NikkyVix
Site Admin

Postby NikkyVix » Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:16 pm

NikkyVix
Site Admin

Postby iller » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:51 pm

Two things:
1> We all use our Hands to draw. The only guy who'd be justified in getting pissed that someone else is "copying his style" is the cripple muthafucka who can only paint with his left foot. Look at Adam Wan, he don't care HOW many people copy him...he thinks it's freakin funny
2> Jebus christ people, there's more to Scalies than just Dragons and Digimon dragons. BRANCH OUT A LITTLE
iller

Postby Nocturnefoxx » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:57 pm

...but you can call me Emerson.
Nocturnefoxx

Next

Return to Rants & Raves