[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
The Furry Pound forums • View topic - "I Quit!!"

"I Quit!!"

Think something's terrific? Think something sucks? Rant and rave here. This is a definite "Keep it civil" area, folks. We will be enforcing common courtesy.

Postby Stormcaller3801 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:38 pm

Back around five years ago (which is a rather disturbing concept) I helped run a LARP. There wasn't a furry in the group, which consisted of upwards of thirty regulars plus half part-time players. There was drama galore. Accusations of use of out of game knowledge, cheating, lying to the admin, theft, internecine squabbles, drama amongst the admin including accusations of favoritism and 'coups' when various people started new games, and several incidences of accusation of unfaithfulness and rape. Which doesn't even include the problems when this group got involved with the normal people around them.

More recently I picked up Supreme Commander, and I went by the official forums there. I happened to check a patch notes thread. Same thing- over a reduction in speed for one unit that was known to be used in an abusive manner. Warhammer Online? I came to expect it on the forums. I actually wrote a note to the admin thanking them for putting up with so much BS.

Livejournal has communities dedicated to pointing it out in other peoples' journals. I've seen it happen due to web authors getting strung out over someone writing fanfiction of their work, or fan art of their webcomics.

I've seen it happen in real life, among 'adults' who are old enough to have kids who are old enough to be pulling the same thing.

Saying it's a furry problem, or somehow declaring that furries are worse at it than anyone else, may be your point of view. But you might also want to look around more if that's the only subculture where you see it going on- or see it going on more than elsewhere. It's endemic to, at the very least, American life.
Stormcaller3801

Postby NikkyVix » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:48 pm

Wow, umm...ditto.

I think I love you, man! D:
NikkyVix
Site Admin

Postby Purplecat » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:59 pm

I think I seen drama in almost every kind of internet community at this point. I seen worse drama in the ROM hacking community than anywhere else, but it's probably not that Drama is more likely to happen amongst ROM hackers. Conflicts crops up everywhere.

Like when a early prototype ROM of SMB2 (USA) was leaked, despite that it was supposed to be in possession of a select few ROM hackers for investigation (as the original collector didn't want it's value to drop), yet it managed to find it's way into the public. That was fun.
Purplecat
Site Admin

Postby Witchiebunny » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:02 pm

As an FYI....the issue wasn't so much of a "OMG SHE DRAWS LIKE I DO, I'M GONNA THROW A FIT AND LEAVE THE FANDOM!"

It was a depression issue...Narse has serious depression issues related to himself and his art, and this was borne of that.......he didn't mean to sic anyone on Tojo, just he feels Tojo is better suited to draw things than he is.

Judging him in this fashion is...very unfair to him.

Just so you guys know.
Witchiebunny

Postby JimmyChopblock » Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:15 am

eh, you're judged by the things you do. Honestly, if you were going to flip out over a depression issue one would think you'd flip out over a real life problem and not "that person's dragon cocks look like mine". I just think the whole thing is silly.
JimmyChopblock

Postby iller » Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:08 am

Gotta go with Jimmy on this one. If you're prone to conflict (even self-conflict) then ya better pick something in R.L. to get uppity about instead of something On-line that can be Googled for years to come. ...that's why I fight with my R.L. neighbors constantly but never told anyone when/why I stopped drawing furry art. (There's maybe 5 or 6 other douchebags TOPS living down my street but atleast 3000 people who know I draw and considering only 600 of those actually watched me, I really don't want to know what the other 2400 would have to say). ...Besides, it's more fun in RL anyway.
iller

Postby NikkyVix » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:27 am

NikkyVix
Site Admin

Postby Kumagoro » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:49 am

It was basically "I QUIT!!!! Tojo is my official replacement"
Kumagoro

Postby Witchiebunny » Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:21 am

What Kuma said. There was nothing more to it, except "I QUIT!! Tojo is my replacement".

Narse's fanboys, without checking the situation, jumped down Tojo's throat, but if they'd checked Tojo's journal where Narse commented there, one could see he wasn't *jealous*, just had decided he was going to quit and Tojo was going to take over his job.

I hate that people say that his motive was "obviously" jealousy when, if they'd bothered to even check Tojo's journal and see how Narse acted towards her, it *wasn't*.

And Jimmy, I'm sorry but you have NO right to dictate what is a valid reason for getting depressed. You see it as drawing dragon cock, Narse sees it as an expression of himself, and as an imperfect expression at that. When one feels as strongly about their craft as artists tend to, it can mean a *lot* to them and if you can't accurately represent yourself or your vision in art as an artist, yes, you tend to get depressed. Whether YOU would personally get depressed over it is not a valid benchmark of whether it is "worth" getting depressed over.

Also, you have no idea if he has a history of depression or not in other areas that might be affection his feelings towards his art.

I get depressed over my art on a regular basis. I also get depressed over my size (something I can't change, my genetics are predisposed towards me being a big girl, plus medical conditions that lean me more in that direction), over my looks, over my childhood, my past, my failed marriage, hell I'll get depressed just for it being the wrong time of the fucking month.

Guess what? I also have a *history* of untreated, clinical depression that predisposes me towards being depressed over these things, things that I can't change and that any person WITHOUT a history of depression/not in the shoes I have to walk in every day would say are stupid things to be depressed over. I've lived with my depression for seventeen years (yes, for those keeping track I've been depressed since I was 8 years old) and I've learned how to keep myself in check for the most part when the mood hits. Not everyone has that ability.

I love couch psychiatrists who feel they have the entitlement to dictate what is worth getting depressed over. No one has that fucking right to tell another person something isn't worth getting upset/depressed/angry over, and it's insulting to tell someone that essentially what they're feeling is invalid. It's rude and shows a supreme lack of respect or a sense of entitlement. Either or.

Bottom line: Things online such as art can be JUST as upsetting and worth getting depressed over as a fight with someone IRL. At the end of the day, it may just be words on a screen, but they affect us in very real and direct ways. People need to remember that before passing judgement. ALL Of us are humans on the other end of that screen and the moment you forget that is the moment you begin to become, well, a jackass.

/rant
Witchiebunny

Postby Stormcaller3801 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:24 pm

Clinical depression for most of my tween-to-early-twenties years. Declared cured in 2002. Still get bouts now and then, and you'd be amazed how hard it can be to realize what's going on, even though I know what it is.

You know the one thing I remember seeing as utterly futile and insurmountable? Laundry. Not the fact there'd always be laundry, just the fact I had to take the laundry, put it in a basket, carry it to the laundry room, put in quarters and soap and everything else, and bring it back. I could not handle that at all. Sounds nuts, I'm sure, but it simply was an incomprehensible hurdle for me. Even though it got done (often with help from friends just being there with me), it still felt that way every single time, even though I knew I'd done it last time and I knew it was simple and I could do it.
Stormcaller3801

PreviousNext

Return to Rants & Raves