[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
The Furry Pound forums • View topic - +100% chance ownage!!!!

+100% chance ownage!!!!

Think something's terrific? Think something sucks? Rant and rave here. This is a definite "Keep it civil" area, folks. We will be enforcing common courtesy.

Postby Mortician175 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:30 pm

So this is more or less one of my calm rants, one of the things that annoys me most when i play a game on TF2. Recently I've found my calling as a spy on TF2. I used to be a jack of all trades but i play spy more and more. It is probably one of the MOST FRUSTRATING classes to play. More luck based and skill based than most other classes. It is a difficult job. But that's not why I'm typing this out. My main problem with the class, is that it seems every other class gets a +100% chance critical rate on spies. ESPECIALLY with melee damage.

I've been keeping up with some research, no copy pasta so bear with me. About 7 times out of 10, my deaths as a spy are crit related. Be it an engineer wrench or Kukri, which have the highest crit rates in the game or me getting jarated which in itself is a death sentence unless i can get away, and as most of it goes you have little to no chance of escape. ESPECIALLY if a magical pyro appears. It just seems really odd to me as a spy, and i've asked other heavy spy players (whose names i won't disclose) the same thing, it does seem that every class has a high crit rate versus a spy. But eh, i digress. onto other things!

It drives me insane, all it takes is one swing and BAM you're done. Even the scout seems to get more crits on my face than anything else. I dunno if it's meant to be that way to compensate for his cloaking, but hell. it just drives me insane when i'm walking along, i get spotted, try to evade and hide which i succeed in sometimes and then suddenly WAM! random critical from some player randomly going up to players and hitting them just to check rather than think.

This coincides with my anger with pyros. I don't mind pyros and i know some pyros (i.e. smart pyros) take skill to do, hell my friend Bruteforce is one of the greatest pyros I've seen. but god damn, watching a pyro run around with a god damn lead weight on his finger DRIVES ME UP THE FUCKING WALL TO NO END. i keep thinking valve should impliment a negative affect to that. Sorta like what Red Orchestra does for the Machine guns, they overheat over time and don't work. Where as in the pyros case should he fire the thing for an extended time the barrel should melt and he either has to find an engineer to fix it, or run for an arms locker. Or for more comical fun, have it blow up in his face for half of his health. Or go for the overheat meter where the gun will not function for a certain amount of time so that way he can't wave around his flamethrower at every direction
Would certainly weed out bad pyros from the good pyros.

But meh, the class is good, it's fair, balanced (others will disagree with that with the ambassador and the random facestabs of which i share a huge disdain for.) but all i'd really like is maybe make it a mite less easy to detect spies is what i'm getting at. So many things screw us over that are out of our hands. We get nudged the slightest bit and it's over, one little ember touches us and we burst into flames. Though as a counter arguement for myself the Cloak and dagger is certainly a good tool, problem is, can't run extneded distances with it, which is a fair balance for infinite cloaking. But eh, i really don't know, just i think some game mechanics need to be tweaked, and some other things maybe messed with slightly.
Mortician175

Postby Ayeaka » Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:46 pm

The best? When you're cloaked, waiting..
CRIT ROCKET FROM NOWHERE.

I swear to GOD, every time I play spy, I either do amazingly, or spend the ENTIRE MATCH getting getting slung around the map dying repeatedly to crits from people that probably didn't even know I was there.

;_;

The one change I'd like to see to the Ambassador... when you fire a shot and your crosshair gets all huge and whatever...
aftually make it less accurate for that time. PLEASE.

I can headshot people easily with rapid fire, because while the crosshair grows larger, it remains super-fucking accurate, and I have seen SO many goddamned aimbotters playing spy now.

(Like this one idiot the other day on rabbithole that didn't think we'd be suspicious when he rapidfire twitch headshotted two pyros and an engineer in a row.)
Other'n that I like it, I just don't use it much.
Frau Chimäre~
The doctor will see you now.
Ayeaka

Postby NikkyVix » Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:32 pm

When I kill you cloaked Spies with splash damage while attempting to blow up someone else, you are considered bonus points.

Rest assured that I am laughing raucously at your misfortunes. }8E
NikkyVix
Site Admin

Postby Purplecat » Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:47 am

There's really not any game mechanic in the game who makes the game give 100% crit chanches against spies, but spies tend to linger around and try to backstab people who just did alot of damage within the last 20 seconds.

Hell, I know that as a demoman my bottle tends to crit alot as it's really easy for a demoman to do alot of damage within a short amount of time. The max crit chance in TF2 is reached when you done at least 1000 damage within the last 20 seconds. Crits themselves tend to add up to that damage counter fast too.

Ambassador helps a little, but I see too many spies going a little gung-ho with it instead of actually trying to play the spy as he was meant to be played. I mostly try to use it against people who is too dangerous to backstab.

My frustration with spy vs pyro is really the main reason you usually see me playing Demoman more than spy. Spy is still my most played class, but Demoman is started to catch up and probably will have catched up in a month or two. There's no harder counter in the game than the one between pyro and spy.

While the buffs and new unlockables have helped with spy, it's still very frustrating class to play. Plus there's the problem lately with teammates being a little inconsiderate towards spies, such as making the guy I'm just about to backstab turn around... or sitting next to me while camping a position with cloak and dagger.
Purplecat
Site Admin

Postby Mortician175 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:19 pm

Mortician175

Postby FluffyGryphon » Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:23 pm

The only thing I hate a great deal is when people seem to be gunning for a certain player specifically and repeatedly.
SQUAWK!
FluffyGryphon

Postby Ayeaka » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:08 pm

I sometimes do that unintentionally..

When I'm being a bit less aggressive as spy, (which usually means I'm slightly hanging back, helping teammates,) I'm often trying to keep a specific area clear so they can move in.

Players seem to like taking the same path....over, and over...and over....

And they seem to die about four times before they get suspicious and realize that yes, I'm still there.
Frau Chimäre~
Ayeaka

Postby iller » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:13 pm

iller

Postby Ayeaka » Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:36 am

Frau Chimäre~
Ayeaka

Postby iller » Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:55 pm

I get Farmed by Pyros on a Heavy, FrameRate's THAT BAD. Soon as they start emitting those Fire Particles, I'm at 5-fps.
I keep begging VALVe to let us turn down the Particle counts LIKE ALMOST EVERY OTHER OPTIMIZED or MODERN GAME ON THE PLANET offers in its Options menus, but Noooooo.... for some reason reducing Particles in this game is considered an SV_CHEAT. :?
iller

Next

Return to Rants & Raves